- •Female orthopaedic surgeons must navigate gender bias throughout their careers.
- •373 female orthopaedic surgeons were anonymously surveyed about workplace conflict.
- •A majority reported experiencing workplace conflict due to gender.
- •Roughly 1 in 5 female orthopaedic surgeons would not choose this career again.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Yes, I'm the doctor”: one department's approach to assessing and addressing gender-based discrimination in the modern medical training era.Acad Med. 2019 Nov 1; 94: 1691-1698
- Gender bias experiences of female surgical trainees.J Surg Educ. 2019 Nov 1; 76: e1-e4
- Systematic review of the prevalence, impact and mitigating strategies for bullying, undermining behaviour and harassment in the surgical workplace.Journal of British Surgery. 2018 Oct; 105: 1390-1397
- Now: making the case (again) for gender equity.https://www.aaos.org/aaosnow/2019/jun/youraaos/youraaos05/Date accessed: October 7, 2021
- A 15-year report on the uneven distribution of women in orthopaedic surgery residency training programs in the United States.JBJS Open Access. 2021 Apr; 6
- # SpeakUpOrtho: narratives of women in orthopaedic surgery—invited manuscript.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2022 Apr 15; 30: 369-376
- Racial, ethnic, and gender diversity in academic orthopaedic surgery leadership.JBJS. 2022 Jul 6; 104: 1157-1165
- Women surgeons' experiences of interprofessional workplace conflict.JAMA Netw Open. 2020 Oct 1; 3e2019843
- Does a career in orthopaedic surgery affect a woman's fertility?.JAAOS-J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2021 Mar 1; 29: e243-e250
- Where are the women in orthopaedic surgery?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2016 Sep; 474: 1950-1956
- Which subspecialties do female orthopaedic surgeons choose and why?: identifying the role of mentorship and additional factors in subspecialty choice.JAAOS Global Res & Rev. 2020 Jan; 4
- Bossy: what's gender got to do with it?.(Center for creative Leadership, available at:)
- Behind the mask: an exploratory assessment of female surgeons' experiences of gender Bias.Acad Med. 2020 Sep 29; 95: 1529-1538
- Predictors of the response of operating room personnel to surgeon behaviors.Surg Today. 2019 Nov; 49: 927-935
- Men surgeons' perceptions of women surgeons: is there a bias against women in surgery?.Surg Endosc. 2020 Nov; 34: 5122-5131
- Harassment, discrimination, and bullying in orthopaedics: a work environment and culture survey.JAAOS-J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2020 Dec 15; 28: e1097-e1104
- Issues faced by senior women physicians: a national survey.J Wom Health. 2020 Jul 1; 29: 980-988
- Perception of racial and intersectional discrimination in the workplace is high among black orthopaedic surgeons: results of a survey of 274 black orthopaedic surgeons in practice.JAAOS-J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2021 Jun 2; : 10-5435
- Achieving a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for the Black orthopaedic surgeon: Part 1: barriers to successful recruitment of Black applicants.JBJS. 2021 Feb 3; 103: e9
- Achieving a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for the black orthopaedic surgeon: Part 2: obstacles faced in inclusion and retention of black orthopaedic residents.JBJS. 2021 Jun 2; 103: 1040-1045
- In the minority: black physicians in residency and their experiences.J Natl Med Assoc. 2006 Sep; 98: 1441
- Race and surgical residency: results from a national survey of 4339 US general surgery residents.Ann Surg. 2013 Apr 1; 257: 782-787
- Development and Implementation of the Women Leaders in Medicine Program at a Multispecialty Health Care System. vol. 32. InBaylor University Medical Center Proceedings, 2019 Oct 2: 477-480 (No. 4, (Taylor & Francis))
- Orthopaedic faculty and resident sex diversity are associated with the orthopaedic residency application rate of female medical students.JBJS. 2019 Jun 19; 101: e56
- The Perry initiative's impact on gender diversity within orthopedic education.Curr Rev Muscull Med. 2021 Oct 9; : 1-5
- Dear program director: solutions for handling and preventing abusive behaviors during surgical residency training.JAAOS-J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2022 May 6; : 10-5435
☆This was an IRB-exempt survey study of female orthopaedic surgeons and their experiences with workplace bias and conflict.