- •Female veterans are less likely to have residents operate on them autonomously.
- •From 2004 to 2018, resident primary cases decreased in both the males and females, but more significantly in males.
- •For RP cases, female patients had shorter length of stay, shorter OR times, and lower mortality compared to male patients.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A 15-year analysis of surgical resident operative autonomy across all surgical specialties in veterans Affairs hospitals.JAMA Surg. 2022; 157: 76-78
- Defining the impact of resident participation on outcomes after appendectomy.Ann Surg. 2012; 255: 577-582
- Effects of resident involvement on complication rates after laparoscopic gastric bypass.J Am Coll Surg. 2014; 218: 253-260
- Surgical resident supervision in the operating room and outcomes of care in Veterans Affairs hospitals.Am J Surg. 2005; 190: 725-731
- General surgical resident operative autonomy vs patient outcomes: are we compromising training without net benefit to hospitals or patients?.J Surg Educ. 2021; 78: e174-e182
- Association between operative autonomy of surgical residents and patient outcomes.JAMA Surg. 2022; 157: 211-219
- Are graduating surgical residents confident in performing open vascular surgery? Results of a national survey.J Surg Educ. 2015; 72: 577-584
- Readiness of US general surgery residents for independent practice.Ann Surg. 2017; 266: 582-594
- Proposals for shortening UK surgical training will directly impact on patient safety.Ann Surg. 2017; 266: e34-e35
- The effect of gender on operative autonomy in general surgery residents.Surgery. 2019; 166: 738-743
- Association of surgeon-patient sex concordance with postoperative outcomes.JAMA Surg. 2022; 157: 146-156
- Those who served: America's veterans from world war II to the war on terror.US Census Bureau. 2020;
- Practical guide to surgical data sets: veterans Affairs surgical quality improvement program (VASQIP).JAMA Surg. 2018; 153: 768-769
- Being in suspense: women's experiences awaiting breast cancer surgery.J Adv Nurs. 2011; 67: 1941-1951
- Public perception of general surgery resident autonomy and supervision.J Am Coll Surg. 2021; 232: 8-15 e1
- Resident physician experiences with and responses to biased patients.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3: e2021769
- Does resident autonomy in colectomy procedures result in inferior clinical outcomes?.Surgery. 2022; 171: 598-606
- Supervised independence in elective inguinal hernia repairs performed by surgical residents is not associated with compromised short clinical outcome or rates of reoperation for recurrence.Am J Surg. 2022; 223: 470-474
- Current challenges in female veterans' health.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2012; 21: 895-900
- The focus they deserve: improving women veterans' health care access.Wom Health Issues. 2021; 31: 399-407
- Improving trends in gender disparities in the department of veterans Affairs: 2008-2013.Am J Publ Health. 2014; 104: S529-S531
- Evolving comprehensive VA women's health care: patient characteristics, needs, and preferences.Wom Health Issues. 2011; 21: S120-S129
- Women veterans' attrition from the VA health care system.Wom Health Issues. 2022; 32: 182-193
- The influence of gender on the doctor-patient interaction.Patient Educ Counsel. 2009; 76: 356-360
- Gender disparity in surgery: an evaluation of surgical societies.Surg Infect. 2019; 20: 406-410
- Comparison of risk-adjusted 30-day postoperative mortality and morbidity in Department of Veterans Affairs hospitals and selected university medical centers: general surgical operations in women.J Am Coll Surg. 2007; 204: 1127-1136
- Influence of gender on surgical outcomes: does gender really matter?.J Am Coll Surg. 2005; 200: 440-455