- •General surgery patients are at increased risk for clostridium difficile infection.
- •Emergent surgery and infection are risk factors for clostridium difficile.
- •Longer time prior to surgery is a risk factor for clostridium difficile.
- •Laparoscopic surgery may be a protective factor for clostridium difficile.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Multistate point-prevalence survey of health care-associated infections.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 1198-1208
- November 23). 2019 Antibiotic Resistance Threats Report.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2021 (Retrieved January 26, 2022, from)
- Identification of medicare recipients at highest risk for Clostridium difficile infection in the US by population attributable risk analysis.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0146822
- Analysis of morbidity and mortality outcomes in postoperative Clostridium difficile infection in the Veterans health administration.JAMA Surg. 2016; 151: 314-322
- How common-and how serious- is Clostridium difficile colitis after geriatric hip fracture? Findings from the NSQIP dataset.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2018; 476: 453-462
- Incidence, risk factors, and impact of Clostridium difficile colitis following primary total hip and knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2018; 33 (e201): 205-210
- Incidence, risk factors, and impact of Clostridium difficile colitis after spine surgery: an analysis of a national database.Spine. 2018; 43: 861-868
- Infection in the plastic surgery population: lessons from the ACS NSQIP database.Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2020; 8e3281
- Analysis of perioperative risk factors for Clostridium difficile infection after a colectomy.Cureus. 2021; 13e20142
- Early emergency general surgery is associated with a higher incidence of Clostridium difficile infection.Surg Infect. 2019; 20: 10-15
- Clostridium difficile and laparoscopic bariatric surgery: an analysis of the metabolic and bariatric surgery accreditation and quality improvement Program database.Obes Surg. 2019; 29: 1881-1888
- Clostridium difficile infection after colorectal surgery: a rare but costly complication.J Gastrointest Surg. 2014; 18: 1804-1811
- A propensity score analysis of Clostridium difficile infection among adult trauma patients.Surg Infect. 2018; 19: 661-666
- Postoperative burden of hospital-acquired Clostridium difficile infection.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2015; 36: 40-46
- Risk factors for mortality in Clostridium difficile infection in the general hospital population: a systematic review.J Hosp Infect. 2012; 82: 1-12
- Higher rates of Clostridium difficile infection among smokers.PLoS One. 2012; 7e42091
- Obesity as a risk factor for Clostridium difficile infection.Clin Infect Dis. 2013; 57: 489-493
- Does obesity influence the risk of Clostridium difficile infection among patients with ulcerative colitis?.Dig Dis Sci. 2018; 63: 2445-2450
- Obesity as protective against, rather than a risk factor for, postoperative Clostridium difficile infection: a nationwide retrospective analysis of 1,426,807 surgical patients.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2019; 86: 1001-1009
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of outcomes following emergency surgery for Clostridium difficile colitis.Br J Surg. 2012; 99: 1501-1513