- •Men continue to undergo more extensive surgery for T1-T2 breast cancer than women.
- •Unilateral mastectomy rates for men have increased from 2004 to 2016.
- •Males had inferior survival after adjustment for patient, tumor, and treatment factors.
- •Partial mastectomy was associated with a 42% reduction in mortality risk for men.
- •Surgical de-escalation could be considered in MBC and may improve outcomes.
Abbreviations:MBC (male breast cancer), BCS (breast-conserving surgery), MRM (modified radical mastectomy), SLNB (sentinel lymph node biopsy), ALND (axillary lymph node dissection)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Carcinoma of the male breast: a review of 41 cases.South Med J. 1990; 83: 1162-1167
- Male breast cancer: results of the treatments and prognostic factors in 397 cases.Eur J Cancer. 1995; 31: 1960-1964
- Male breast cancer.Lancet. 2006; 367: 595-604
- NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. Breast Cancer Version 8.2021.NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. 2021;
- Hormone receptor-positive breast cancer has a worse prognosis in male than in female patients.Clin Breast Cancer. 2017; 17: 356-366
- Male breast cancer: a population-based comparison with female breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 232
- Overall mortality after diagnosis of breast cancer in men vs women.JAMA Oncol. 2019; 5: 1589-1596
- Male breast carcinoma: increased awareness needed.Breast Cancer Res. 2011; 13: 219
- Breast carcinoma in men: a population‐based study.Cancer: Interdiscipl Int J Am Cancer Soc. 2004; 101: 51-57
- Characterization of male breast cancer: results of the EORTC 10085/TBCRC/BIG/NABCG international male breast cancer Program.Cancer Res. 2015; 75: S6e05
- Breast cancer in men.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 2311-2320https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra1707939
- Is breast conserving therapy a safe modality for early-stage male breast cancer?.Clin Breast Cancer. 2016; 16: 101-104
- Strategies in treating male breast cancer.Expet Opin Pharmacother. 2007; 8: 193-202
- Clinicopathologic features and radiation therapy utilization in patients with male breast cancer: a national cancer database study.Breast Cancer Basic Clin Res. 2018; 121178223418770687
- Is breast-conserving therapy appropriate for male breast cancer patients? A national cancer database analysis.Ann Surg Oncol. 2019; 26: 2144-2153
- New approaches in the management of male breast cancer.Clin Breast Cancer. 2013; 13: 309-314
- Management of male breast cancer in the United States: a surveillance, epidemiology and end results analysis.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013; 87: 747-752
- DCIS and axillary nodal evaluation: compliance with national guidelines.BMC Surg. 2017; 17: 1-10
- Despite equivalent outcomes, men receive neoadjuvant chemotherapy less often than women for lymph node-positive breast cancer.Ann Surg Oncol. 2021; 28: 6001-6011
- Sentinel node biopsy in male breat cancer.Nucl Med Commun. 2004; 25: 139-143
- Trends and outcomes associated with axillary management of males with clinical N0 breast cancer–an NCDB analysis.J Surg Res. 2021; 268: 97-104
- Current state of surgical management for male breast cancer.Transl Cancer Res. 2019; 8: S457
- The relationship between surgical treatment (mastectomy vs. breast conserving treatment) and body acceptance, manifesting femininity and experiencing an intimate relation with a partner in breast cancer patients.Psychiatr Pol. 2018; 52: 859-872
- A prospective model of care for breast cancer rehabilitation: postoperative and postreconstructive issues.Cancer. 2012; 118: 2226-2236
- A comparative biomarker study of 514 matched cases of male and female breast cancer reveals gender-specific biological differences.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012; 133: 949-958
- Steroid hormone receptor expression in male breast cancer.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2006; 32: 44-47