- •We interviewed 45 patients and providers (surgeons, dietitians, health psychologists, PCPs).
- •SES barriers after bariatric surgery included employment, income, and transportation challenges.
- •Unsafe/inconvenient neighborhoods and limited health literacy were also barriers.
- •Interventions targeting these factors are needed to support bariatric surgery patients.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- https://asmbs.org/resources/estimate-of-bariatric-surgery-numbersDate: 2011-2018Date accessed: September 22, 2020
- Bariatric surgery versus intensive medical therapy for diabetes - 5-year outcomes.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 641-651
- Bariatric surgery versus conventional medical therapy for type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 1577-1585
- Bariatric surgery and long-term durability of weight loss.JAMA Surg. 2016; 151: 1046-1055
- The effectiveness and risks of bariatric surgery: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis, 2003-2012.JAMA Surg. 2014; 149: 275-287
- Association of prior metabolic and bariatric surgery with severity of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in patients with obesity.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2021; 17: 208-214
- Emergency department visits and readmissions within one year of bariatric surgery: a statewide analysis using hospital discharge records.Surgery. 2017; 162: 1155-1162
- Two-year outcomes for medicaid patients undergoing laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: a case-control study.Obes Surg. 2014; 24: 1679-1685
- One-year surgical outcomes and costs for medicaid versus non-medicaid patients undergoing laparoscopic roux-en-Y gastric bypass: a single-center study.Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutaneous Tech. 2016; 26: 38-43
- Medicare and Medicaid status predicts prolonged length of stay after bariatric surgery.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2007; 3: 592-596
- National study of the effect of patient and hospital characteristics on bariatric surgery outcomes.Am Surg. 2005; 71: 308-314
- Association between medicaid status, social determinants of health, and bariatric surgery outcomes.Ann Surg Open. 2021; 2: e028
- Defining weight loss after bariatric surgery: a call for standardization.Obes Surg. 2019; 29: 3493-3499
- The Wisconsin Network for Health Research (WiNHR): a statewide, collaborative, multi-disciplinary, research group.Wis Med J. 2009; 108: 453-458
- Bariatric surgery barriers: a review using Andersen's model of health services use.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2018; 14: 404-412
- A qualitative study of the system-level barriers to bariatric surgery within the veterans health administration.Ann Surg. 2022 Jan 1; 275: e181-e188https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000003982
- Re-Revisiting andersen's behavioral model of health services use: a systematic review of studies from 1998-2011.Psycho Soc Med. 2012; 9: Doc11
- Surgical disparities: a comprehensive review and new conceptual Framework.J Am Coll Surg. 2016; 223: 408-418
- RE-AIM evaluation of the veterans health administration's MOVE! Weight management program.Translat Behav Med. 2011; 1: 551-560
- Three approaches to qualitative content analysis.Qual Health Res. 2005; 15: 1277-1288
- Constructing Grounded Theory: A Practical Guide through Qualitative Analysis.SAGE Publications, London2006
- Characterising and justifying sample size sufficiency in interview-based studies: systematic analysis of qualitative health research over a 15-year period.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2018; 18: 148
- Conceptualizing qualitative data.Qual Health Res. 2021; 31: 1767-1770
- Employment and professional outcomes in 803 patients undergoing bariatric surgery in a French reference center for obesity.Int J Occup Environ Med. 2015; 6: 95-103
- The effect of bariatric surgery on mobility, health-related quality of life, healthcare resource utilization, and employment status.Obes Surg. 2017; 27: 349-356
- Bariatric surgery and risk of unemployment and sickness absence.Obes Surg. 2022; 32: 720-728
- Out-of-pocket costs for commercially-insured patients in the years following bariatric surgery: sleeve gastrectomy versus roux-en-Y gastric bypass.Ann Surg. 2021 Nov 11; https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000005291
- Patient perspectives on adherence with micronutrient supplementation after bariatric surgery.Obes Surg. 2019; 29: 1551-1556
- Systems innovation model: an integrated interdisciplinary team approach pre- and post-bariatric surgery at a veterans affairs (VA) medical center.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2017; 13: 600-606
- Improving obesity treatment through telemedicine: increasing access to bariatric surgery.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2021; 17: 9-11
- Academic and community hernia center websites in the United States fail to meet healthcare literacy standards of readability.Hernia. 2022 Mar 27; https://doi.org/10.1007/s10029-022-02584-z
- The influence of health literacy and health numeracy on weight loss outcomes following bariatric surgery.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2021; 17: 384-389
- Patient insights into the experience of trying to achieve weight-loss and future expectations upon commencement of a primary care-led weight management intervention: a qualitative, baseline exploration.PLoS One. 2022; 17e0270426