- •High output persistent ascites (PA) occurs in 28% of liver transplant recipients.
- •Platelet transfusions given preoperatively were a significant and independent predictor of persistent high output ascites.
- •An increase in POD5 MELD and TEG MA postoperatively were significant predictors of PA.
- •Post-operative PA was associated with longer hospital stays, higher rates of intraabdominal infection, and graft dysfunction.
High output, persistent ascites (PA) is a common complication following liver transplant (LT). Recent work has identified that platelets help maintain endothelial integrity and can decrease leakage in pathological states. We sought to assess the association of PA following LT with platelet count and platelet function.
Clot strength (MA) is a measure of platelet function and was quantified using thrombelastography (TEG). Total drain output following surgery was recorded in 24-h intervals during the same time frame as TEG. PA was considered >1 L on POD7, as that much output prohibits drain removal.
105 LT recipients with moderate or high volume preoperative ascites were prospectively enrolled. PA occurred in 28%. Platelet transfusions before and after surgery were associated with PA, in addition to POD5 TEG MA and POD5 MELD score. Patients with PA had a longer hospital length of stay and an increased rate of intraabdominal infections.
Persistent ascites following liver transplant is relatively common and associated with platelet transfusions, low clot strength, and graft dysfunction.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Portal hypertension: pathogenesis and diagnosis.Clin Liver Dis. 2019; 23: 573-587
- Endothelial dysfunction in the regulation of cirrhosis and portal hypertension.Liver Int. 2012; 32: 199-213
- Ascites after liver transplantation.Liver Transplant. 2000; 6: 157-162
- Persistent ascites after liver transplantation: etiology, treatment and impact on survival.Ann Transplant. 2013; 18: 378-383
- Risk factors and management of ascites after liver resection to treat hepatocellular carcinoma.Arch Surg. 2009; 144: 46-51
- Ascites in hepatitis C liver transplant recipients frequently occurs in the absence of advanced fibrosis.Am J Transplant. 2008; 8: 366-376
- Refractory ascites after liver transplantation: an analysis of 1058 liver transplant patients at a single center.Am J Transplant. 2006; 6: 140-149
- Somatostatin therapy in patients with massive ascites after liver transplantation.Ann Transplant. 2019; 24: 1-8
- Preservation of vascular integrity in organs perfused in vitro with a platelet-rich medium.Nature. 1969; 222: 33-36
- Human thrombocytopenia is associated with structural abnormalities of the endothelium that are ameliorated by glucocorticosteroid administration.Blood. 1986; 67: 203-206
- Pannexin- and connexin-mediated intercellular communication in platelet function.Int J Mol Sci. 2017; 18
- Association of thrombocytopenia with outcome following adult living donor liver transplantation.Transpl Int. 2016; 29: 1126-1135
- Assessing the methodology for calculating platelet contribution to clot strength (platelet component) in thromboelastometry and thrombelastography.Anesth Analg. 2015; 121: 868-878
- Postoperative liver allograft dysfunction: the use of quantitative duplex Doppler signal analysis in adult liver transplant patients.Bildgebung. 1995; 62: 124-131
- Thrombocytopenia post liver transplantation. Correlations with pre-operative platelet count, blood transfusion requirements, allograft function and outcome.J Hepatol. 1992; 16: 16-22
- Low platelet counts after liver transplantation predict early posttransplant survival: the 60-5 criterion.Liver Transplant. 2014; 20: 147-155
- Low platelet counts and prolonged prothrombin time early after operation predict the 90 Days morbidity and mortality in living-donor liver transplantation.Ann Surg. 2017; 265: 166-172
- Good platelets gone bad: the effects of trauma patient plasma on healthy platelet aggregation.Shock. 2021; 55: 189-197
- Alterations of endothelial glycocalyx during orthotopic liver transplantation in patients with end-stage liver disease.Transplantation. 2015; 99: 2118-2123
- Vascular endothelial dysfunction in cirrhosis.J Hepatol. 2007; 46: 927-934
- Detrimental effect of sinusoidal overperfusion after liver resection and partial liver transplantation.Transpl Int. 2005; 17: 862-871
- Endothelial cell dysfunction in microvasculature: relevance to disease processes.Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2000; 23: 199-211
- Liver disease and hemostatic (Dys)function.Semin Thromb Hemost. 2015; 41: 462-467
- Thrombocytopenia and hemostatic changes in acute and chronic liver disease: pathophysiology, clinical and laboratory features, and management.J Clin Med. 2021; 10
- Platelet transfusion can be related to liver regeneration after living donor liver transplantation.World J Surg. 2010; 34: 1052-1058
- Targeting repair of the vascular endothelium and glycocalyx after traumatic injury with plasma and platelet resuscitation.Matrix Biol. 2022; 14100107
- Ascites after liver transplantation--a mystery.Liver Transplant. 2004; 10: 654-660
- Massive ascites after living donor liver transplantation with a right lobe graft larger than 0.8% of the recipient's body weight.Clin Transplant. 2010; 24: 520-527
- Platelet transfusion: current challenges.Transfus Clin Biol. 2018; 25: 151-164
- Adiponectin in fresh frozen plasma contributes to restoration of vascular barrier function after hemorrhagic shock.Shock. 2016; 45: 50-54
- Thrombocytopenia after liver transplantation: should we care?.World J Gastroenterol. 2018; 24: 1386-1397
- Chylous ascites after liver transplant: case report and review of literature.Exp Clin Transplant. 2013; 11: 367-374
- The effectiveness of different functional fibrinogen polymerization assays in eliminating platelet contribution to clot strength in thromboelastometry.Anesth Analg. 2014; 118: 269-276
- Platelets in liver transplantation: friend or foe?.Liver Transplant. 2008; 14: 923-931
Published online: October 01, 2022
Accepted: September 28, 2022
Received in revised form: August 25, 2022
Received: March 25, 2022
☆This study was supported in part by National Heart Lung and Blood Institute: R00-HL151887 and American Society of Transplant Surgeons Veloxis Fellowship Award, and University of Colorado Academic Enrichment Fund
© 2022 Published by Elsevier Inc.