- •Longitudinal outcomes of bariatric surgery following the complete transition to MBSAQIP are unclear.
- •This study evaluates the change in bariatric surgery practice before and after the introduction of MBSAQIP from 2007 to 2018.
- •While patients complexity factors have been stable, complications rates have been minimized over the past decade. This was correlated with reduction in length of stay.
- •MBSAQIP era was associated with reduced odds for surgical and medical complications. The program was also associated with early discharge following bariatric surgery.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Metabolic and bariatric surgery quality improvement program - standards manual.(Accessed: 7/29/2021)
- Practical guide to surgical data sets: metabolic and bariatric surgery accreditation and quality program (MBSAQIP).JAMA Surg. 2018 Aug 1; 153: 766-767
- Bariatric surgery outcomes in us accredited vs non-accredited centers: a systematic Review.J Am Coll Surg. 2016 Sep; 223: 469-477
- Comparing patterns of care and outcomes after operative management of complications after bariatric surgery at MBSAQIP accredited bariatric centers and non-bariatric facilities.Surg Endosc. 2021 Aug; 35: 4719-4724
- Bariatric surgery complications before vs after implementation of a national policy restricting coverage to centers of excellence.JAMA. 2013 Feb 27; 309: 792-799
- Bariatric surgery outcomes at designated centers of excellence vs nondesignated programs.Arch Surg. 2009; 144 (discussion 325): 319e325
- Variation in outcomes at bariatric surgery centers of excellence.JAMA Surg. 2017 Jul 1; 152: 629-636
- Trends in utilization of bariatric surgery, 2010-2014: sleeve gastrectomy dominates.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2017 May; 13: 774-778
- Trends in bariatric surgery from 2008 to 2012.Am J Surg. 2016 Jun; 211: 1041-1046
- Trends in bariatric surgery in Texas: an analysis of a statewide administrative database 2013-2017.Surg Endosc. 2021 Apr; 35: 1566-1571
- Sustained positive impact of ACS-NSQIP program on outcomes after colorectal surgery over the last decade.Am J Surg. 2020 Jan; 219: 197-205
- A nationwide safety analysis of discharge on the first postoperative day after bariatric surgery in selected patients.Obes Surg. 2019 Jan; 29: 15-22
- Comparative safety of sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass: an instrumental variables approach.Ann Surg. 2020 Nov 12; https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000004297
- The effect of national hospital accreditation in bariatric surgery on perioperative outcomes and long-term mortality.Surg Obes Relat Dis. Jul-Aug 2015; 11: 749-757
- Outcomes of bariatric surgery performed at accredited vs nonaccredited centers.J Am Coll Surg. 2012 Oct; 215: 467-474
- A decade analysis of trends and outcomes of bariatric surgery in Medicare beneficiaries.J Am Coll Surg. 2014 Sep; 219: 480-488
- Predictors and outcomes of leak after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: an analysis of the MBSAQIP data registry.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2019 Mar; 15: 396-403
- Robotic gastric bypass is getting better: first results from the metabolic and bariatric surgery accreditation and quality improvement program.Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2018 Sep; 14: 1240-1245
- Evolving trends in north American gastric bypass delivery: a retrospective MBSAQIP analysis of technical factors and outcomes from 2015 to 2018.Obes Surg. 2021 Jan; 31: 151-158
- Enoxaparin for thromboprophylaxis in morbidly obese patients undergoing bariatric surgery: findings of the prophylaxis against VTE outcomes in bariatric surgery patients receiving enoxaparin (PROBE) study.Obes Surg. Nov-Dec. 2005; 15: 1368-1374
- Variation in hospital episode costs with bariatric surgery.JAMA Surg. 2015 Dec; 150: 1109-1115