- •Neighborhood SDOH domains related to built environment, education, economics, social context affect utilization of HCC surgery.
- •Black patients had significantly lower odds of surgery vs Whites but not after adjustments for SDOH.
- •Any patients with insurances other than private insurance had lower odds of surgery for HCC.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. United States Cancer Statistics: Data Visualization. gis.cdc.gov/Cancer/USCS/DataViz.html Accessed 27 June 2021.
World Health Organization International Agency for Research on Cancer. https://gco.iarc.fr/today/online-analysis-multi-bars?v=2018&mode=cancer&mode_population=countries&population=900&populations=840&key=asr&sex=0&cancer=39&type=0&statistic=5&prevalence=0&population_group=0&ages_group%5B%5D=0&ages_group%5B%5D=17&nb_items=10&group_cancer=1&include_nmsc=1&include_nmsc_other=1&type_multiple=%257B%2522inc%2522%253Afalse%252C%2522mort%2522%253Atrue%252C%2522prev%2522%253Afalse%257D&orientation=horizontal&type_sort=0&type_nb_items=%257B%2522top%2522%253Atrue%252C%2522bottom%2522%253Afalse%257D&population_group_globocan_id= Accessed 20 June 2021.
- Population attributable fractions of risk factors for hepatocellular carcinoma in the United States.Cancer. 2016; 122: 1757-1765
- Current Surgical Therapy.thirteenth ed. Elsevier, 2020
- Liver cancer survival rates.https://www.cancer.org/cancer/liver-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/survival-rates.htmlDate: 2020 JuneDate accessed: June 20, 2021
- Racial and Geographic disparities in the utilization of surgical therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma.J Gastrointest Surg. 2007 Dec; 11: 1636-1646
- Association of socioeconomics, surgical therapy, and survival of early-stage hepatocellular carcinoma.J Surg Res. 2017 Apr; 210: 253-260
- Surgical therapy for early hepatocellular carcinoma in the modern ear: a 10-year SEER-medicare analysis.Ann Surg. 2013; 258 (Dec): 1022-1027
- Socioeconomic factors affect disparities in access to liver transplant for hepatocellular cancer.J Transplant. Dec 2012; 2012870659
- https://www.cdc.gov/socialdeterminants/about.htmlDate accessed: September 10, 2022
- https://www.who.int/health-topics/social-determinants-of-health#tab=tab_1Date accessed: September 10, 2022
- The role of racial segregation in treatment and outcomes among patients with hepatocellular carcinoma.HPB. 2021 June; 23: 854-860
- The impact of neighborhood social and built environment factors across the cancer continuum: current research, methodological considerations, and future directions.Cancer. 2015; 121: 2314-2330
- International Classification of Diseases for Oncology (ICD-O).third ed. 2013 (1st Revision https://apps. Who.int/iris/handle/10665/96612)
- AJCC Cancer Staging Manual.sixth ed. Springer, New York; London2002
- Liver Cancer Incidence and Area-Level Geographic Disparities in Pennsylvania: A Geo-Additive Approach in Progress. vol. 17. 2020 Oct 16: 7526 (20)
- Towards precision public health: geospatial analytics and sensitivity/specificity assessments to inform liver cancer prevention.Soc Sci Med. 2020 Aug 7; 12100640
- Socioeconomic status and breast cancer incidence in California for different race/ethnic groups.Cancer Causes Control. 2001 Oct; 12: 703-711
- Impact of individual and neighborhood factors on disparities in prostate cancer survival.Cancer Epidemiol. 2018 Apr; 53: 1-11
- Disparities in liver cancer incidence by nativity, acculturation, and socioeconomic status in California Hispanics and Asians.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010 Dec; 19: 3106-3118
- Geographic access to health care for rural Medicare beneficiaries.J Rural Health. Spring. 2006; 22: 140-146
- Metrics for monitoring cancer inequities: residential segregation, the Index of Concentration at the Extremes (ICE), and breast cancer estrogen receptor status (USA, 1992-2012).Cancer Causes Control. 2016; 27: 1139-1151
- The impact of neighborhood economic and racial inequalities on the spatial variation of breast cancer survival in New Jersey.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2019 Dec; 28: 1958-1967
- Census tracts.(Available from:)https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/education/CensusTracts.pdfDate accessed: June 27, 2021
- Geocoding and monitoring of US socioeconomic inequalities in mortality and cancer incidence: does the choice of area-based measure and geographic level matter?: the Public Health Disparities Geocoding Project.Am J Epidemiol. 2002 Sep; 156: 471-482
- 2000 Census Technical Documentation for SF 3.United States Department of Commerce, 2007Date accessed: June 27, 2021
- Modeling Survival Data: Extending the Cox Model.Springer Science & Business Media, 2000
- Multimodel inference - understanding AIC and BIC in model selection.Socio Methods Res. 2004; 33: 261-304
- Racial/ethnic disparities in access to care and survival for patients with early-stage hepatocellular carcinoma.Arch Surg. 2010; 145: 1158-1163
- Bridging the gap between biologic, individual, and macroenvironmental factors in cancer: a multilevel approach.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2013 Apr; 22: 485-495
- Medicaid and uninsured hepatocellular carcinoma patients have more advanced tumor stage and are less likely to receive rreatment.J Clin Gastroenterol May/Jun. 2018; 52: 437-443
- Medicare/medicaid insurance, rurality, and black race associated with provision of hepatocellular carcinoma treatment and survival.J Natl Compr Cancer Netw. 2021 Feb12; : 1-9
- Access to cancer Services for rural colorectal cancer patients.J Rural Health. 2008; 24: 390-399
- Assessing and improving the quality of surgical care in rural America.Surg Clin. 2009; 89: 1373-1381
- Systematic review of neighborhood socioeconomic indices studied across the cancer control continuum.Cancer Med. 2022 May; 11: 2125-2144
- What structural racism is (or is not) and how to measure it: clarity for public health and medical researchers.Am J Epidemiol. 2022 Aug 22; 191: 1521-1526
- Do neighborhood economic characteristics, racial composition, and residential stability predict perceptions of stress associated with the physical and social environment? Findings from a multilevel analysis in Detroit.J Urban Health. 2008 Sep; 85: 642-661
- Neighborhood socioeconomic deprivation and residential instability: effects on incidence of ischemic heart disease and survival after myocardial infarction.Epidemiology. 2007 Jan; 18: 104-111
- A multilevel analysis of individual, health system, and neighborhood factors associated with depression within a large metropolitan area.J Urban Health. 2017 Dec; 94: 780-790
- Neighborhoods and chronic disease onset in later life.Am J Publ Health. 2011 January; 101: 79-86
- Investigating disparities: the effect of social environment on pancreatic cancer survival in metastatic patients.J Gastrointest Oncol. 2020 Aug; 11: 633-643
- Close to home: the health of Philadelphia neighborhoods.in: Data on Excessiv. Drexel University Urban Health Collaborative and City of Philadelphia, Department of Public Health, 2019 Jan 2