- •Pediatric hyperparathyroidism is frequenyl sporadic.
- •5% of cases without family history ar attributed to genetic syndromes.
- •Sporadic HPT is due to single adenoma at a similar rate to sporadic adult population (85%).
- •Familila cases have higher recurrence rates with earlier onset, requiring close follow-up ad interventions are often needed.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Parathyroid conditions in childhood.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2014; 23: 66-70https://doi.org/10.1053/j.sempedsurg.2014.03.003
- A meta-analysis comparing the biochemistry of primary hyperparathyroidism in youths to the biochemistry of primary hyperparathyroidism in adults.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014; 99: 4555-4564https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2014-2268
- Secular trends in the incidence of primary hyperparathyroidism over five decades (1965–2010).Bone. 2015; 73: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bone.2014.12.003
- Primary hyperparathyroidism in pediatric patients.Pediatrics. 2005; 115: 974-980https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2004-0804
- Case-control study of primary hyperparathyroidism in juvenile vs. adult patients.Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2020; 131109895https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijporl.2020.109895
- Surgical treatment of primary hyperparathyroidism in children: report of 10 cases.Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2008; 72: 1177-1182https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijporl.2008.04.005
- Clinical profile of primary hyperparathyroidism in adolescents and young adults: primary hyperparathyroidism in adolescents and young adults.Clin Endocrinol. 1998; 48: 435-443https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2265.1998.00329.x
- Pediatric primary hyperparathyroidism: experience in a tertiary care referral center in a developing country over three decades.World J Surg. 2021; 45: 488-495https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-020-05816-4
- Outcomes of minimally invasive parathyroidectomy in pediatric patients with primary hyperparathyroidism owing to parathyroid adenoma: a single institution experience.J Pediatr Surg. 2017; 52: 188-191https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2016.01.018
- Sporadic primary hyperparathyroidism in young patients: a separate disease entity?.Arch Surg. 1999; 134: 6
- Single gland, ectopic location: adenomas are common causes of primary hyperparathyroidism in children and adolescents.World J Surg. 2020; 44: 1518-1525https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-019-05362-8
- Surgical treatment of children with hyperparathyroidism: single centre experience.J Pediatr Surg. 2014; 49: 1539-1543https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2014.05.032
- A 10-year retrospective study of primary hyperparathyroidism in children.Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2012; 120: 229-233https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0032-1301895
- Reduced calcium sensing receptor (CaSR) expression is epigenetically deregulated in parathyroid adenomas.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2020; 105: 3015-3024https://doi.org/10.1210/clinem/dgaa419
- Genetic defects associated with familial and sporadic hyperparathyroidism.in: Frontiers of Hormone Research. vol. 41. S. KARGER AG, 2013: 149-165https://doi.org/10.1159/000345675
- Frequent germ-line mutations of the MEN1, CASR, and HRPT2/CDC73 genes in young patients with clinically non-familial primary hyperparathyroidism.Horm Cancer. 2012; 3: 44-51https://doi.org/10.1007/s12672-011-0100-8
- The American association of endocrine Surgeons guidelines for definitive management of primary hyperparathyroidism.JAMA Surg. 2016; 151: 959https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2016.2310
- Role for limited neck exploration in young adults with apparently sporadic primary hyperparathyroidism.World J Surg. 2008; 32: 1518-1524https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-008-9515-y
- Primary hyperparathyroidism in the young age group: particularities of diagnostic and therapeutic schemes.World J Surg. 2004; 28: 1153-1156https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-004-7671-2
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)—a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inf. 2009; 42: 377-381https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2008.08.010
- The changing pattern of diagnosing primary hyperparathyroidism in young patients.Am J Surg. 2017; 213: 146-150https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2016.03.019
- What is the optimal treatment for children with primary hyperparathyroidism?.J Pediatr Surg. 2010; 45: 1142-1146https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2010.02.074
- Preoperative multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 diagnosis improves the surgical outcomes of pediatric patients with primary hyperparathyroidism.J Pediatr Surg. 2014; 49: 546-550https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2013.11.059
- Primary hyperparathyroidism in neonates and childhood.Horm Res Paediatr. 2008; 69: 180-188https://doi.org/10.1159/000112592
- Pediatric endocrine surgery: a 20-year experience at the Mayo clinic.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014; 99: 399-406https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2013-2617
- Comparative characteristics of primary hyperparathyroidism in pediatric and young adult patients.Surgery. 2016; 160: 1008-1016https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2016.06.028
- Presenting features and molecular genetics of primary hyperparathyroidism in the paediatric population.Eur J Endocrinol. 2021; 184: 343-351https://doi.org/10.1530/EJE-20-1119
- Characterization of hyperparathyroidism in youth and adolescents: a literature review.Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2013; 77: 318-322https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijporl.2012.12.008
- Hereditary hyperparathyroidism—a consensus report of the European society of endocrine Surgeons (ESES).Langenbeck's Arch Surg. 2015; 400: 867-886https://doi.org/10.1007/s00423-015-1342-7
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
☆Poster presented the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons meeting in May 2022.