- •Minimally invasive colectomy approach for CRC is associated with longer operative times compared to open surgical approach in emergent settings.
- •Minimally invasive colectomy approach for CRC is associated with lower 30-day mortality and 30-day complications.
- •Minimally invasive colectomy approach in the emergency setting may have the potential to improve patient outcomes and decrease the burden of healthcare cost.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries.CA A Cancer J Clin. 2018; 68: 394-424https://doi.org/10.3322/CAAC.21492
- Does it matter where you get your surgery for colorectal cancer?.Int J Colorectal Dis. 2019; 34 (2019;34(12)): 2121-2127https://doi.org/10.1007/S00384-019-03436-6
- Colorectal cancer — cancer stat facts.https://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/colorect.htmlDate accessed: August 15, 2021
- Short-term outcomes of minimally invasive versus open colectomy for colon cancer.J Surg Res. 2016; 204: 83-93https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JSS.2016.04.020
- Systematic review of emergency laparoscopic colorectal resection.Br J Surg. 2013; 101: e126-e133https://doi.org/10.1002/BJS.9348
- Laparoscopic versus open resection for sigmoid diverticulitis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 2017https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD009277.PUB2
- Outcomes and risk factors affecting mortality in patients who underwent colorectal emergency surgery.Annal Coloproctol. 2016; 32: 133https://doi.org/10.3393/AC.2016.32.4.133
- Assessing awareness of colorectal cancer symptoms: measure development and results from a population survey in the UK.BMC Cancer. 2011; 11: 366https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-11-366
- Characteristics of colorectal cancer in khorramabad, Iran during 2013.Middle East J Digest Dis. 2014; 6 (/pmc/articles/PMC4034668/): 81Date accessed: August 15, 2021
- Enhanced recovery after surgery vs conventional care in emergency colorectal surgery.World J Gastroenterol : WJG. 2014; 2013950https://doi.org/10.3748/WJG.V20.I38.13950
- Risk factors in patients presenting as an emergency with colorectal cancer.Br J Surg. 2005; 82: 321-323https://doi.org/10.1002/BJS.1800820311
- Der notfalleingriff beim kolonkarzinom.Zentralblatt für Chirurgie. 2007; 132 (01): 16-25https://doi.org/10.1055/S-2006-958708
- Primary versus staged resection for acute obstructing colorectal carcinoma.Br J Surg. 1992; 79: 685-688https://doi.org/10.1002/BJS.1800790732
- Physical status is the principal determinant of outcome after emergency admission of patients with colorectal cancer.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 1993; 75 (/pmc/articles/PMC2497987/?report=abstract): 335Date accessed: August 15, 2021
- Emergency presentations of colorectal cancer.Surg Clin. 2017; 97: 529-545https://doi.org/10.1016/J.SUC.2017.01.004
- Minimally invasive surgery for colorectal cancer remains underutilized in Germany despite its nationwide application over the last decade.Sci Rep. 2018; 8 (2018 8:1): 1-7https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-33510-y
- Robotic right colectomy for hemorrhagic right colon cancer: a case report and review of the literature of minimally invasive urgent colectomy.World J Emerg Surg : WJES. 2014; 9: 32https://doi.org/10.1186/1749-7922-9-32
- Short term benefits for laparoscopic colorectal resection.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; (2)https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD003145.PUB2
- Prolonged operative duration is associated with complications: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Surg Res. 2018; 229: 134-144https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JSS.2018.03.022
- Short- and long-term outcomes after laparoscopic versus open emergency resection for colon cancer: an observational propensity score-matched study.World J Surg. 2013; 37: 2458-2467https://doi.org/10.1007/S00268-013-2146-Y/FIGURES/3
Kim YW, Kim IY, Kim BR. Outcomes of Laparoscopic and Open Surgery for Colorectal Cancer in the Emergency Setting.
- Open vs minimally invasive approach for emergent colectomy in perforated diverticulitis.Dis Colon Rectum. 2021; : 319-327https://doi.org/10.1097/DCR.0000000000001805
- Factors associated with minimally invasive surgery for colorectal cancer in emergency settings.J Surg Res. 2019; 243: 75-82https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JSS.2019.04.089