- •We interviewed 17 under-represented medical students about factors associated with going into surgery.
- •Mentorship, demonstrating grit, and a sense of community are important positive experiences.
- •Minority experience included micro-aggressions, lack of mentorship and representation, low confidence, and feeling invisible
- •Minority experience, toxic environment, and self-worth must be addressed to increase diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Abbreviations:URiM (underrepresented in medicine)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Is surgical workforce diversity increasing?.J Am Coll Surg. 2007 Mar; 204 (PubMed PMID: 17324784): 469-477
- Major deficit in the number of underrepresented minority academic surgeons persists.Ann Surg. 2008 Nov; 248 (PubMed PMID: 18948795): 704-711
- Minority underrepresentation in academia: factors impacting careers of surgery residents.J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2014 Dec 1; 1 (PubMed PMID: 25396113. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC4226069): 238-246
- The role of black and Hispanic physicians in providing health care for underserved populations.N Engl J Med. 1996 May 16; 334 (PubMed PMID: 8609949): 1305-1310
- Trends in sex and racial/ethnic diversity in applicants to surgery residency and fellowship programs.JAMA Surg. 2020 Aug 1; 155 (PubMed PMID: 32459323. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC7254440): 778-781
- Understanding the leaky pipeline: perceived barriers to pursuing a career in medicine or dentistry among underrepresented-in-medicine undergraduate students.Acad Med. 2016 Jul; 91 (PubMed PMID: 26650673): 987-993
- Minority physicians' role in the care of underserved patients: diversifying the physician workforce may be key in addressing health disparities.JAMA Intern Med. 2014 Feb 1; 174 (PubMed PMID: 24378807): 289-291
- Pursing a career in academic surgery among African American medical students.Am J Surg. 2020 Apr; 219 (PubMed PMID: 31470975. Epub 20190817): 598-603
- Racial and ethnic minority medical students' perceptions of and interest in careers in academic medicine.Acad Med. 2013 Sep; 88 (PubMed PMID: 23887018): 1299-1307
- Perceptual and structural facilitators and barriers to becoming a surgeon: a qualitative study of african American and Latino surgeons.Acad Med. 2018 Sep; 93 (PubMed PMID: 29742613. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC6113077): 1326-1334
- Do general surgery residency program websites feature diversity?.J Surg Educ. 2020 Nov-Dec; 77 (PubMed PMID: 32600889. Epub 20200627): e110-e115
- Underrepresented minorities in general surgery residency: analysis of interviewed applicants, residents, and core teaching faculty.J Am Coll Surg. 2020 Jul; 231 (PubMed PMID: 32156654. Epub 20200307): 54-58
- National evaluation of racial/ethnic discrimination in US surgical residency programs.JAMA Surg. 2020 Jun 1; 155 (PubMed PMID: 32293655. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC7160741): 526-528
- Charting Outcomes in the Match.Washington D. National Resident Matching Program, 2019 (Available from:)http://www.nrmp.orgDate accessed: June 20, 2022
- Nominal group technique: a brainstorming tool for identifying areas to improve pain management in hospitalized patients.J Hosp Med. 2012 May-Jun; 7 (PubMed PMID: 22190453. Epub 20111221): 416-420
- What attracts medical students to primary care? A nominal group evaluation.South Med J. 2019 Feb; 112 (PubMed PMID: 30708369): 76-82
- Medical education fg. Medical education, facts glossary.(Available from:)https://www.aamc.org/data-reports/students-residents/interactive-data/facts-glossaryDate accessed: June 3, 2022
- What should we include in a cultural competence curriculum? An emerging formative evaluation process to foster curriculum development.Acad Med. 2011; 86: 333-341
- Factors influencing US medical students' decision to pursue surgery.J Surg Res. 2016 Jun 1; 203 (PubMed PMID: 27338536. Epub 20160331): 64-74
- Medical student subinternships in surgery: characterization and needs assessment.Am J Surg. 2013; 205: 175-181
- Factors affecting the interest in a surgical career among medical students at a Nonurban, tertiary care academic institution.Ann Vasc Surg. 2020 Oct; 68 (PubMed PMID: 32569816. Epub 20200620): 57-66
- Strategies for attracting women and underrepresented minorities in urology.Curr Urol Rep. 2019 Sep 2; 20 (PubMed PMID: 31478091. Epub 20190902): 61
- Closing the gap: training experiences and career outcomes for underrepresented minorities in plastic surgery.Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2022 May; 10 (PubMed PMID: 35539296. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC9076446. Epub 20220506)e4300
- Relationship between burnout and mistreatment: who plays a role?.Am J Surg. 2021 Dec; 222 (PubMed PMID: 34325910. Epub 20210722): 1060-1065
- The job demands-resources model as a framework to identify factors associated with burnout in surgical residents.J Surg Res. 2020 Mar; 247 (PubMed PMID: 31785888. Epub 20191127): 121-127
- Do internal or external characteristics more reliably predict burnout in resident physicians: a multi-institutional study.J Surg Educ. 2020 Nov-Dec; 77 (PubMed PMID: 33077415. Epub 20201017): e86-e93
- Prevalence, bias, and rank list impact of illegal questions in surgical specialty residency interviews.J Surg Educ. 2022 Jan-Feb; 79 (PubMed PMID: 34400121. Epub 20210813): 69-76
- Supporting trainees by addressing inappropriate behaviors by patients.South Med J. 2021 Feb; 114 (PubMed PMID: 33537793): 111-115
- Closing the gap: increasing female representation in surgical leadership.Am J Surg. 2022 Feb; 223 (PubMed PMID: 33827754. Epub 20210326): 273-275