Structural racism and bias are not only endemic in medical education, but are also intrinsic to how medicine is currently practiced.
- Churchwell K.
- Elkind M.S.V.
- Benjamin R.M.
- et al.
Call to action: structural racism as a fundamental driver of health disparities: a presidential advisory from the American Heart association.
Circulation. 2020; 142: e454-e468
2Minorities frequently face discrimination and bias as a part of their everyday experience. This carries into their academic and work environments and hinders their advancement and success.
- Sonnenberg L.K.
- Do V.
- LeBlanc C.
- Busari J.O.
Six ways to get a grip by calling-out racism and enacting allyship in medical education.
Can Med Educ J. 2021; 12: 111-115
3These obstacles affect individuals of many groups based on sex, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, and ethnicity. While each group faces somewhat differing challenges to their advancement, they are all limited in representation at multiple levels, including the highest ranks of leadership.
- Zhuo L.
- Ju V.
- Wakam G.
- Antunez A.
- Dossett L.A.
Facilitators and barriers to allyship in academic surgery: a qualitative study.
Am J Surg. 2021; 221: 950-955
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Call to action: structural racism as a fundamental driver of health disparities: a presidential advisory from the American Heart association.Circulation. 2020; 142: e454-e468
- Six ways to get a grip by calling-out racism and enacting allyship in medical education.Can Med Educ J. 2021; 12: 111-115
- Facilitators and barriers to allyship in academic surgery: a qualitative study.Am J Surg. 2021; 221: 950-955
- Responding and navigating racialized microaggressions in STEM.Pathog Dis. 2021; 79
- Empowering student antiracist work to overcome inertia in academic health centers.Acad Med. 2021;
- Racial disparities in surgery.Ann Surg. 2020; 2: e023
- Allyship in surgical residents: evidence for LGBTQ competency training in surgical education.J Surg Res. 2021; 260: 169-176
- Allyship in residency: an introductory module on medical allyship for graduate medical trainees.MedEdPORTAL. 2021; 1711200
- Reducing implicit bias: association of women Surgeons #HeForShe task force best practice recommendations.J Am Coll Surg. 2019; 228: 303-309
Published online: October 31, 2022
Accepted: October 28, 2022
Received in revised form: October 17, 2022
Received: August 11, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.