- •Mentorship programs are paramount to success in academic surgery.
- •We created a mentor/mentee pairing program in the Department of Surgery.
- •A majority of respondents would recommend the program.
- •Tangible outcomes may not be the best goal of mentorship programs.
- •Nontangible outcomes include sharing steps to increase productivity and promotion.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The best mentorships help both people grow.Harv Bus Rev. 2022;https://hbr.org/2022/01/the-best-mentorships-help-both-people-grow?ab=ascendhero-article-2Date: 2022Date accessed: February 11, 2022
- Measuring faculty retention and success in academic medicine.Acad Med. 2012; 87: 1046-1051
- Mentoring and the career satisfaction of male and female academic medical faculty.Acad Med. 2014; 89: 301-311
- Mentoring in academic medicine: a systematic review.JAMA. 2006; 296: 1103-1115
- Does mentoring matter? A multidisciplinary meta-analysis comparing mentored and non-mentored individuals.J Vocat Behav. 2008; 72: 254-267
- A systematic review of qualitative research on the meaning and characteristics of mentoring in academic medicine.J Gen Intern Med. 2010; 25: 72-78
- Transition from trainee to educator in the operating room: a needs assessment and framework to support junior faculty.Am J Surg. 2022; 223: 1112-1119
- Surgical research journals - under review: an assessment of diversity among editorial boards and outcomes of peer review.Am J Surg. 2021; 222: 1104-1111
- Effects of perceptions and mentorship on pursuing a career in academic medicine in obstetrics and gynecology.Acad Med. 2001; 76: 628-634
- Discussing mentorship: an ongoing study for the development of a mentorship program in Saskatchewan.Can Fam Physician. 2010; 56: e263-e272
- Formal mentorship in a surgical residency training program: a prospective interventional study.J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017; 46: 13
- Characterization of mentorship programs in departments of surgery in the United States.JAMA Surg. 2016; 151: 900-906
- Characteristics of successful and failed mentoring relationships: a qualitative study across two academic health centers.Acad Med. 2013; 88: 82-89
- Having the right chemistry": a qualitative study of mentoring in academic medicine.Acad Med. 2003; 78: 328-334
- What mentors tell us about acknowledging effort and sustaining academic research mentoring: a qualitative study.J Continuing Educ Health Prof. 2019; 39: 29-35
- The mentor match: a new approach to implementing formal mentorship in general surgery residency.Am J Surg. 2020; 220: 589-592
- Current state and need for more black surgeons in academic surgery.Am J Surg. 2022; 224: 299-301
- Suturing the gender gap through sponsorship: the role of sponsorship in female entry and advancement through their surgical careers.Am J Surg. 2022; 224: 266-270
- Closing the gap: increasing female representation in surgical leadership.Am J Surg. 2022; 223: 273-275
- Is there still a glass ceiling for women in academic surgery?.Ann Surg. 2011; 253: 637-643
- Improving health care career pipeline programs for underrepresented students: program design that makes a difference.Prog Commun Health Partnersh. 2019; 13: 113-122
- Mentoring programs for underrepresented minority faculty in academic medical centers: a systematic review of the literature.Acad Med. 2013; 88: 541-549
- Development and initial results of a mandatory department of surgery faculty mentoring pilot program.J Surg Res. 2016; 205: 234-237
- Introducing the American journal of surgery virtual research mentor: a primer for aspiring surgeon-scientists.Am J Surg. 2021; 223: 1015-1016
- [Careers of women in academic surgery].Chirurg. 2005; 76 (discussion 711): 703-711
- The current status of women in surgery: how to affect the future.JAMA Surg. 2020; 155: 876-885
- Motivation to pursue surgical subspecialty training: is there a gender difference?.J Am Coll Surg. 2007; 205: 698-703
- Endocrine surgery is at the forefront of gender diversity.Am J Surg. 2021; 221: 86-89
- Do male chairs of surgery have implicit gender bias in the residency application process?.Am J Surg. 2021; 221: 697-700
- Men's fear of mentoring in the #MeToo era - what's at stake for academic medicine?.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 2270-2274
- Examination of intersectionality and the pipeline for black academic surgeons.JAMA Surg. 2022; 157: 327-334
- Influence of faculty diversity on resident diversity across surgical subspecialties.Am J Surg. 2022; 224: 273-281