- •Transplant surgery fellows experience frequent sleep deprivation.
- •Biophysiological stress is prevalent among abdominal transplant surgery fellows.
- •Transplant surgery fellows are often non-compliant with policies created to reduce burnout.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A national study of burnout among American transplant surgeons.Transplant Proc. 2005; 37: 1399-1401
- Extinguishing burnout: national analysis of predictors and effects of burnout in abdominal transplant surgery fellows.Am J Transplant. 2021; 21: 307-313
- Transplant surgery pipeline: a report from the American society of transplant surgeons pipeline taskforce.J Am Coll Surg. 2021; 233: 262-271
- Surgeon distress as calibrated by hours worked and nights on call.J Am Coll Surg. 2010; 211: 609-619
- To sleep, perchance to dream: acute and chronic sleep deprivation in acute care surgeons.J Am Coll Surg. 2019; 229: 166-174
- National survey of burnout among US general surgery residents.J Am Coll Surg. 2016; 223: 440-451
- Orthopaedic surgeon physiological indicators of strain as measured by a wearable fitness device.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2021; 29: e1378-e1386
- Physiologic stress among surgeons who take in-house call.Am J Surg. 2019; 218: 1181-1184
- Resident burnout.JAMA. 2004; 292: 2880-2889
- Burnout and medical errors among American surgeons.Ann Surg. 2010; 251: 995-1000
- Assessment of physician sleep and wellness, burnout, and clinically significant medical errors.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3: e2028111
- Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine.fourth ed. Elsevier/Saunders. xxxiii, Philadelphia, PA2005: 1517
- Sleep deprivation and neurobehavioral dynamics.Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2013; 23: 854-863
- Sleep loss and fatigue in residency training: a reappraisal.JAMA. 2002; 288: 1116-1124
- Autonomic dysregulation in burnout and depression: evidence for the central role of exhaustion.Scand J Work Environ Health. 2017; 43: 475-484
- Heart rate variability as a strain indicator for psychological stress for emergency physicians during work and alert intervention: a systematic review.J Occup Med Toxicol. 2021; 16: 24
- Heart rate variability in different levels of burnout-cross-sectional study of different occupational groups heart rate variability and burnout.J Occup Environ Med. 2021; 63: e622-e630
- An overview of heart rate variability metrics and norms.Front Public Health. 2017; 5: 258
- Psychophysiological biomarkers of workplace stressors.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2010; 35: 51-57
- Fellowship time managed policy.(Available from:)https://asts.org/docs/default-source/fellowship-training/5_updated-managed-time-policy.pdf?sfvrsn=68c645d3_2
- Exploring the relationship between burnout and grit during general surgery residency: a longitudinal, single-institution analysis.Am J Surg. 2020; 219: 322-327
- The impact of medical student burnout on surgery clerkship performance.J Surg Educ. 2019; 76: 1241-1247
- Effect of wearables on sleep in healthy individuals: a randomized crossover trial and validation study.J Clin Sleep Med. 2020; 16: 775-783
- Validation of photoplethysmography-based sleep staging compared with polysomnography in healthy middle-aged adults.Sleep. 2017; 40
- Heart rate variability: an old metric with new meaning in the era of using mHealth technologies for health and exercise training guidance. Part One: physiology and methods.Arrhythmia Electrophysiol Rev. 2018; 7: 193-198
- A meta-analysis of heart rate variability and neuroimaging studies: implications for heart rate variability as a marker of stress and health.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2012; 36: 747-756
- Distress and career satisfaction among 14 surgical specialties, comparing academic and private practice settings.Ann Surg. 2011; 254: 558-568
- Behavioral and physiological consequences of sleep restriction.J Clin Sleep Med. 2007; 3: 519-528
- Association of physician burnout with suicidal ideation and medical errors.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e2028780
- Maslach Burnout Inventory Manual.third ed. Consulting Psychologists Press. iv, Palo Alto, Calif1996: 52 (577 College Ave., Palo Alto 94306)