- •Using a threshold of SBP <100 mmHg for TTA criteria is safe in geriatric trauma patients.
- •Trauma activation thresholds of SBP <100 mmHg and SBP <110 mmHg have similar under-triage rates.
- •A SBP <110 mmHg threshold is associated with a higher rate of over-triage.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Injury in the aged: geriatric trauma care at the crossroads.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2015; 78: 1197-1209https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0000000000000656
- The impact of advanced age on trauma triage decisions and outcomes: a statewide analysis.Am J Surg. 2009; 197: 571-575https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2008.12.037
- Shock index predicts mortality in geriatric trauma patients: an analysis of the National Trauma Data Bank.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2014; 76: 1111-1115https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0000000000000160
- Undertriage of the elderly major trauma patient continues in major trauma centre care: a retrospective cohort review.Emerg Med J. 2020; 37: 508-514https://doi.org/10.1136/emermed-2019-208541
- Geriatric trauma.Emerg Med Clin. 2016; 34: 483-500https://doi.org/10.1016/j.emc.2016.04.004
- Role of trauma team activation in poor outcomes of elderly patients.J Surg Res. 2016; 203: 95-102https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2016.01.036
- Undertriage of older trauma patients: is this a national phenomenon?.J Surg Res. 2015; 199: 220-229https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2015.05.017
- Old age as a criterion for trauma team activation.J Trauma Inj Infect Crit Care. 2001; 51: 754-757
- Undertriage despite use of geriatric-specific trauma team activation guidelines: who are we missing?.A. 2021; 87: 419-426https://doi.org/10.1177/0003.1348.20951450
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report Guidelines for Field Triage of Injured Patients.2012
- Asking a better question: development and evaluation of the Need for Trauma Intervention (NFTI) metric as a novel indicator of major trauma.J Trauma Nurs. 2017; 24: 150-157https://doi.org/10.1097/JTN.0000000000000283
- Resources for Optimal Care of the Injured Patient.American College of Surgeons, 2014
- Systolic blood pressure criteria in the National Trauma Triage Protocol for geriatric trauma: 110 is the new 90.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2015; 78: 352-359https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0000000000000523
- Geriatric-specific triage criteria are more sensitive than standard adult criteria in identifying need for trauma center care in injured older adults.Ann Emerg Med. 2015; 65 (e3): 92-100https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2014.04.019
- Old age with a traumatic mechanism of injury should be a trauma team activation criterion.J Emerg Med. 2019; 57: 151-155https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2019.04.003
- Effect on outcome of early intensive management of geriatric trauma patients.Br J Surg. 2002; 89: 1319-1322https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2168.2002.02210.x
- Multicenter assessment of the Brain Injury Guidelines and a proposal of guideline modifications.Trauma Surg Acute Care Open. 2020; 5https://doi.org/10.1136/tsaco-2020-000483
- A “GAP” in activation: a better way to manage geriatric and anticoagulated patients with head trauma.Am Surg. Published online. 2022; https://doi.org/10.1177/00031348221080436
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
☆Meeting presentation: This study was be presented as an oral presentation at the Southwestern Surgical Congress Annual Meeting on April 27, 2022.