- •Withholding irrigation decreased abscess formation from 19.6% to 9.9%, though this did not reach statistical significance.
- •Odds of abscess formation in non-irrigated patients multiplicatively increased 67% for each 6-min increase in operative time.
- •Odds of postoperative abscess formation in non-irrigated patients was 13.4 times greater with operative time ≥60 min.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Acute appendicitis: modern understanding of pathogenesis, diagnosis, and management.Lancet. 2015; 386: 1278-1287
- Laparoscopic versus open appendectomy for acute appendicitis: a metaanalysis.Surg Endosc. 2011; 25: 1199-1208
- Adopting single-incision laparoscopic appendectomy in children: is it safe during the learning curve?.J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech. 2019; 29: 1306-1310
- Determinants of postoperative abscess occurrence and percutaneous drainage in children with perforated appendicitis.Pediatr Surg Int. 2014; 30: 1265-1271
- Risk factors for the development of abdominal abscess following operation for perforated appendicitis in children.Arch Surg. 2007; 142: 236-241
- The impact of postoperative abscess formation in perforated appendicitis.J Surg Res. 2011; 170: 24-26
- Physiologic predictors of postoperative abscess in children with perforated appendicitis: subset analysis from a prospective randomized trial.Surgery. 2010; 147: 729-732
- Do postoperative antibiotics prevent abscess formation in complicated appendicitis?.Am Surg. 2014; 80: 878-883
- Postoperative antibiotics correlate with worse outcomes after appendectomy for nonperforated appendicitis.J Am Coll Surg. 2011; 213: 778-783
- Irrigation versus suction in laparoscopic appendectomy for complicated appendicitis: a meta-analysis.J Surg Res. 2019; 235: 237-243
- Peritoneal irrigation vs suction alone during pediatric appendectomy for perforated appendicitis: a meta-analysis.Medicine. 2019; 98
- Association of intraoperative findings with outcomes and resource use in children with complicated appendicitis.JAMA Surg. 2018; 153: 1021-1027