- •71% of patients diagnosed with IBC had a skin punch biopsy positive for dermal lymphatic invasion.
- •Patients with IBC had a 26% incidence of triple negative and 40% HER 2 positive tumor biology.
- •Patients with a positive skin biopsy had a significantly higher incidence of a chest wall recurrence.
- •Overall 5 year survival was 61% with no difference in survival for those with a positive skin biopsy.
Abbreviations:Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC), Skin Punch Biopsy (SPB), Dermal Lymphatic Invasion (DLI), Locally Advanced Breast Cancer (LABC)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Trends in inflammatory breast carcinoma incidence and survival: the surveillance, epidemiology, and end results program at the National Cancer Institute.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2005; 97: 966-975
- Inflammatory breast cancer defined: proposed common diagnostic criteria to guide treatment and research.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2022; 192: 235-243
- Dermal lymphatic invasion, survival, and time to recurrence or progression in inflammatory breast cancer.Am J Clin Oncol. 2021; 44: 449-455
- Pathologic aspects of inflammatory breast carcinoma: part 1. Histomorphology and differential diagnosis.Semin Oncol. 2008; 35: 25-32
- Inflammatory carcinoma of the breast.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1948; 87: 417-424
- MS-81) (
- Tumor biology correlates with rates of breast-conserving surgery and pathologic complete response after neoadjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer: findings from the ACOSOG Z1071 (Alliance) Prospective Multicenter Clinical Trial.Ann Surg. 2014; 260 (discussion 14-6): 608-614
- Inflammatory breast carcinoma and noninflammatory locally advanced breast carcinoma: distinct clinicopathologic entities?.J Clin Oncol. 2003; 21: 2254-2259
- Inflammatory breast carcinoma: pathological or clinical entity?.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2000; 64: 269-273
- Influence of patient, physician, and hospital characteristics on the receipt of guideline-concordant care for inflammatory breast cancer.Cancer Epidemiol. 2016; 40: 7-14
- International consensus on the clinical management of inflammatory breast cancer from the morgan welch inflammatory breast cancer research program 10th anniversary conference.J Cancer. 2018; 9: 1437-1447
- Immediate reconstruction in inflammatory breast cancer: challenging current care.Ann Surg Oncol. 2016; 23: 642-648