- •Clinical symptoms of CTS showed a significant improvement after bariatric surgery.
- •Electrophysiological severity of CTS showed a significant improvement after bariatric surgery.
- •Improvement of sensory amplitude after bariatric surgery was a demonstrable trend of both median and ulnar nerves in both hands with and without CTS.
Ethical code of study
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global health Observatory (GHO) data.(Available at:)
- Neurological consequences of obesity.Lancet Neurol. 2017; 16: 465-477https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-422(17)30084-4
- Does body mass index effect nerve conduction? A cross sectional study.Int J Curr Res Rev. 2016; 8: 4-7
- Effect of body mass index on ulnar nerve conduction velocity, ulnar neuropathy at the elbow, and carpal tunnel syndrome.Muscle Nerve. 2005; 32: 360-363https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.20345
- Prevalence of obesity in carpal tunnel syndrome patients: a cross-sectional survey.Cureus. 2017; 9e1519https://doi.org/10.7759/cureus.1519
- Derivação gástrica em Y-de-Roux e a atividade inflamatória do tecido adiposo.Rev Col Bras Cir. 2011; 38: 161-166https://doi.org/10.1590/S0100-69912011000300004
- Principles and pitfalls of nerve conduction studies.Ann Neurol. 1984; 16: 415-429https://doi.org/10.1002/ana.410160402
- Nerve conduction study among healthy Malays. The influence of age, height and body mass index on median, ulnar, common peroneal and sural nerves.Malays J Med Sci. 2006; 13: 19
- Ulnar nerve motor conduction velocity correlates with body mass index in Indian young healthy subjects.Natl J Physiol Pharm Pharmacol. 2018; 8: 310-313https://doi.org/10.5455/njppp.2018.8.0832822092017
- Body mass index effect on common nerve conduction study measurements.Muscle Nerve. 1998; 21: 1398-1404https://doi.org/10.1002/(sici)1097-4598(199811)21:11<1398::aid-mus6>3.0.co;2-4
- Effect of body mass index on parameters of nerve conduction study in Indian population.Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2012; 56: 88-93
- Obesity and carpal tunnel syndrome: is there a causal relationship?.Eur Neurol. 2008; 59: 253-257https://doi.org/10.1159/000115639
- Long-term outcome of bariatric surgery in morbidly obese adolescents: a systematic review and meta-analysis of 950 patients with a minimum of 3 years follow-up.Obes Surg. 2017; 27: 3110-3117https://doi.org/10.1007/s11695-017-2738-y
- Nerve conduction study.in: Dumitru D. Amato A.A. Zwarts M.J. Electrodiagnostic Medicine. second ed. Hanley& Belfus Inc, Philadelphia2002: p159-p223
- American Academy of Neurology, and American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Practice parameter for electrodiagnostic studies in carpal tunnel syndrome: summary statement.Muscle Nerve. 2002; 25: 918-922https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.10185
- AAEE minimonograph #26: the electrodiagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome.Muscle Nerve. 1987; 10: 99-113https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.880100202
- Bioelectrical impedance analysis results for estimating body composition are associated with glucose metabolism following laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy in obese Japanese patients.Nutrients. 2018; 10: 1456https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10101456
- Translation and validation of the Persian version the Boston carpal tunnel syndrome questionnaire.Arch Bone and Jt Surg. 2018; 6: 71
- Relation of age, body mass index and wrist waist circumference to carpal tunnel syndrome severity.Neurol Med -Chir. 2014; 54: 394-400https://doi.org/10.2176/nmc.oa2013-0028
- Evaluation of age, body mass index, and wrist index as risk factors for carpal tunnel syndrome severity.Muscle Nerve. 2002; 25: 93-97https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.10007
- Associations of cardiovascular risk factors, carotid intima-media thickness and manifest atherosclerotic vascular disease with carpal tunnel syndrome.BMC Muscoskel Disord. 2011; 12: 80https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-12-80
- Risk factors in carpal tunnel syndrome.J Hand Surg Br. 2004; 29: 315-320https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsb.2004.02.009
- Median nerve entrapment neuropathy before and early after sleeve gastrectomy in patients with diabetes mellitus: a prospective cross-sectional study.Obes Med. 2022; 31100396https://doi.org/10.1016/j.obmed.2022.100396
- The role of bariatric surgery to treat diabetes: current challenges and perspectives.BMC Endocr Disord. 2017; 17: 50https://doi.org/10.1186/s12902-017-0202-6
- Prediction of glycated hemoglobin levels at 3 months after metabolic surgery based on the 7-day plasma metabolic profile.PLoS One. 2014; 9e109609https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0109609
- Carpal tunnel syndrome.Curr Opin Neurol. 2005; 18: 581-585https://doi.org/10.1097/01.wco.0000173142.58068.5a
- Influence of body mass index on median nerve function, carpal canal pressure, and cross-sectional area of the median nerve.Muscle Nerve. 2004; 30: 481-485https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.20125
- Normal values of posterior antebrachial cutaneous nerve conduction study related to age, gender, height, and body mass index.J Clin Neurophysiol. 2014; 31: 523-528https://doi.org/10.1097/WNP.0000000000000108
- Focal peripheral neuropathies.in: Dumitru D. Amato A.A. Zwarts M. Electrodiagnostic Medicine. 2ed ed. Hanley& Belfus Inc, Philadelphia2002: p1043-p1126
- An evaluation of gender, obesity, age and diabetes mellitus as risk factors for carpal tunnel syndrome.Clin Neurophysiol. 2002; 113: 1429-1434https://doi.org/10.1016/s1388-2457(02)00201-8