- •We demonstrated that becoming an adolescent is associated with an increased risk to develop thyroid cancer.
- •There were more pediatric thyroid cancer cases in female (>80%) than male, which is suggestive of a hormonal association.
- •Most cases (∼90%) underwent total thyroidectomy, aligning with ATArecommendations, both prior to and after their publication.
- •To better discern the role of puberty on thyroid cancer development, standardized criteria are needed to categorize puberty.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Analysis of the rising incidence of thyroid cancer utilizing the SEER national cancer data registry.Surgery. 2010; 148: 1147-1153
- Trends in pediatric thyroid cancer incidence in the United States, 1998-2013.Cancer. 2019; 125: 2497-2505
- Pediatric papillary thyroid carcinoma: outcomes and survival predictors in 2504 surgical patients.Pediatr Surg Int. 2016; 32: 201-208
- Thyroid cancer in the pediatric population.Genes. 2019; 10
- Pediatric thyroid cancer incidence and mortality trends in the United States, 1973-2013.JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2019; 145: 617-623
- Cancer statistics for adolescents and young adults.CA Cancer J Clin, 2020. 2020; 70: 443-459
- Thyroid-specific genes expression uncovered age-related differences in pediatric thyroid carcinomas.Internet J Endocrinol. 2016; 2016
- Management guidelines for children with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer.Thyroid. 2015; 25: 716-759
- Incidental thyroid nodule: patterns of diagnosis and malignancy rate.Am J Surg. 2009; 197: 320-324
- Puberty and precocious puberty.in: National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. 2021https://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/puberty#:∼:text=The%20onset%20of%20puberty%2C%20the,puberty%20that%20begins%20abnormally%20lateDate accessed: November 2, 2022
- Pubertal correlates in black and white girls.J Pediatr. 2006; 148: 234-240
- Pubertal staging in boys.J Pediatr. 1995; 127: 100-102
- Differentiated thyroid carcinoma in pediatric patients: comparison of presentation and course between pre-pubertal children and adolescents.J Pediatr. 2009; 154: 708-714
- Puberty and sex in pediatric thyroid cancer: could expression of estrogen and progesterone receptors affect prognosis?.Eur Thyroid J. 2022; 11
- Papillary thyroid cancer in children and adolescents does not differ in growth pattern and metastatic behavior.J Pediatr. 2010; 157: 648-652