- •Perioperative use of NSAIDs was not associated with an increased risk of endoscopic disease recurrence after ileocolectomy.
- •There was no difference in clinical recurrence rates between those exposed and non-exposed to NSAIDs.
- •NSAIDs appear to be safe to use as part of an accelerated pathway for recovery following surgery for CD.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Diagnosis and misdiagnosis of inflammatory bowel disease.Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am. 2002; 12: 433-449https://doi.org/10.1016/S1052-5157(02)00005-3
- Inflammatory bowel disease.N Engl J Med. 2002; 347: 417-429https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra020831
- Major abdominal and perianal surgery in Crohn's disease: long-term follow-up of Australian patients with Crohn's disease.Dis Colon Rectum. 2018; 61: 67-76https://doi.org/10.1097/DCR.0000000000000975
- Short- and medium-term outcomes following primary ileocaecal resection for Crohn's disease in two specialist centres.Br J Surg. 2017; 104: 1713-1722https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.10595
- Predictability of the postoperative course of Crohn's disease.Gastroenterology. 1990; 99: 956-963https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-5085(90)90613-6
- Crohn's disease management after intestinal resection: a randomised trial.Lancet. 2015; 385: 1406-1417https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)61908-5
- NSAID-associated deaths: the rise and fall of NSAID-associated GI mortality.Am J Gastroenterol. 2005; 100: 1694-1695https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2005.50565.x
- Gastrointestinal toxicity of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs.N Engl J Med. 1999; 340: 1888-1899https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199906173402407
- The mechanisms of action of NSAIDs in analgesia.in: Drugs. vol. 52. Springer International Publishing, 1996: 13-23https://doi.org/10.2165/00003495-199600525-00004
- Adverse effects of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs, aspirin and coxibs) on upper gastrointestinal tract.Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2010; 24: 121-132https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpg.2009.11.005
- Prevalence and mechanism of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug-induced clinical relapse in patients with inflammatory bowel disease.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2006; 4: 196-202https://doi.org/10.1016/S1542-3565(05)00980-8
- Exacerbation of inflammatory bowel disease by nonsterioidal anti-inflammatory drugs and cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors: fact or fiction?.World J Gastroenterol. 2006; 12: 1509-1510https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v12.i10.1509
- Prostaglandin biology in inflammatory bowel disease.Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2001; 30: 971-980https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-8553(05)70223-5
- Relapse of inflammatory bowel disease associated with use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.Dig Dis Sci. 2006; 51: 168-172https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-006-3103-5
- A quantitative analysis of NSAID-induced small bowel pathology by capsule enteroscopy.Gastroenterology. 2005; 128: 1172-1178https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2005.03.020
- Inhibition of both COX-1 and COX-2 and resulting decrease in the level of prostaglandins E2 is responsible for nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID)-dependent exacerbation of colitis.Eur J Pharmacol. 2009; 603: 120-132https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2008.11.058
- Healing impairment effect of cyclooxygenase inhibitors on dextran sulfate sodium-induced colitis in rats.Digestion. 2007; 74: 91-100https://doi.org/10.1159/000097657
- A long-term cohort study of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug use and disease activity in outpatients with inflammatory bowel disease.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2004; 10: 751-757https://doi.org/10.1097/00054725-200411000-00009
- The gastrointestinal safety and effect on disease activity of etoricoxib, a selective Cox-2 inhibitor in inflammatory bowel diseases.Am J Gastroenterol. 2006; 101: 311-317https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2006.00384.x
- Safety of celecoxib in patients with ulcerative colitis in remission: a randomized, placebo-controlled, pilot study.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2006; 4: 203-211https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cgh.2005.12.002
- Meta-analysis of the placebo rates of clinical relapse and severe endoscopic recurrence in postoperative Crohn's disease.Gastroenterology. 2008; 135: 1500-1509https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2008.07.066
- Ketorolac use and anastomotic leak in elective colorectal surgery: a detailed analysis.in: Diseases of the Colon and Rectum. vol. 61. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2018: 1426-1434https://doi.org/10.1097/DCR.0000000000001244
- Postoperative maintenance therapy for inflammatory bowel disease.Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2006; 22: 377-381https://doi.org/10.1097/01.mog.0000231811.95525.7c
- Review article: the natural history of postoperative Crohn's disease recurrence.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2012; 35: 625-633https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2012.05002.x
- Postoperative recurrent luminal Crohn's disease: a systematic review.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2012; https://doi.org/10.1002/ibd.21825
- Therapy of metronidazole with azathioprine to prevent postoperative recurrence of Crohn's disease: a controlled randomized trial.Gastroenterology. 2008; 135: 1123-1129https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2008.07.010
- The effect of smoking after surgery for Crohn's disease: a meta-analysis of observational studies.Int J Colorectal Dis. 2008; 23: 1213-1221https://doi.org/10.1007/s00384-008-0542-9
- Systematic review with meta-analysis: the adverse effects of tobacco smoking on the natural history of Crohn's disease.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2016; 43: 549-561https://doi.org/10.1111/apt.13511
- Rofecoxib and early relapse of inflammatory bowel disease: an open-label trial.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2004; 19: 755-764https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2004.01907.x
- Exacerbation of inflammatory bowel disease associated with use of celecoxib.Am J Gastroenterol. 2001; 96: 1306-1308https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2001.03730.x
- Systematic review with meta-analysis: association between acetaminophen and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and risk of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis exacerbation.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2018; 47: 1428-1439https://doi.org/10.1111/apt.14606
- Kono-S anastomosis for surgical prophylaxis of anastomotic recurrence in Crohn's disease: an international multicenter study.J Gastrointest Surg. 2016; 20: 783-790https://doi.org/10.1007/s11605-015-3061-3
- The role of Kono-S anastomosis and mesenteric resection in reducing recurrence after surgery for Crohn's disease: a systematic review.Colorectal Dis. 2021; 23: 7-17https://doi.org/10.1111/codi.15136