- •Elderly patients with locally advanced rectal cancer (LARC) have worse OS & DFS.
- •Elderly patients with LARC have similar DSS as younger patients.
- •Comorbidity and adjuvant therapy, and not age, drive OS & DFS.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cancer statistics.CA Cancer J Clin. 2022; 72 (2022 Jan 12): 7-33
- Preoperative versus postoperative chemoradiotherapy for rectal cancer.N Engl J Med. 2004 Oct 21; 351: 1731-1740
- Systematic review of barriers to the recruitment of older patients with cancer onto clinical trials.J Clin Oncol. 2005 May 1; 23: 3112-3124
- Are we undertreating rectal cancer in the elderly? An epidemiologic study.Ann Surg. 2007 Aug; 246: 215-221
- Rectal cancer in old age -is it appropriately managed? Evidence from population-based analysis of routine data across the English national health service.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2019 Jul; 45: 1196-1204
- Is chemotherapy or radiation therapy in addition to surgery beneficial for locally advanced rectal cancer in the elderly? A national cancer data base (NCDB) study.World J Surg. 2016 Feb; 40: 447-455
- Impact of age on the use of adjuvant treatments in patients undergoing surgery for colorectal cancer: patients with stage III colon or stage II/III rectal cancer.BMC Cancer. 2019 Jul 25; 19: 735
- Outcomes of rectal resection following neoadjuvant therapy in the elderly: can rectal cancer patients be too old for a neoadjuvant approach?.Am J Surg. 2018 Mar; 215: 436-439
- Laparoscopic surgery after neoadjuvant therapy in elderly patients with rectal cancer.J BUON. 2017 Aug; 22: 869-874
- Feasibility of neoadjuvant therapy for elderly patients with locally advanced rectal cancer.Surg Today. 2019 Aug; 49: 694-703
- Clinical outcomes of preoperative chemoradiotherapy in octogenarian with locally advanced rectal cancer.Mol Clin Oncol. 2019 Aug; 11: 181-188
- Clinical outcomes of elderly patients receiving neoadjuvant chemoradiation for locally advanced rectal cancer.Ann Oncol. 2015 Oct; 26: 2102-2106
- Tolerability of oxaliplatin-based neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy in elderly locally advanced rectal cancer patients: a case-control study of a real-life experience.Anticancer Res. 2019 Dec; 39: 6957-6963
- Safety and long-term effect assessment of neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy for elderly patients with locally advanced rectal cancer: a CHN single-center retrospective study.Technol Cancer Res Treat. 2020 Dec; 191533033820970339
- Efficacy and safety of sequential neoadjuvant chemotherapy and short-course radiation therapy followed by delayed surgery in locally advanced rectal cancer: a single-arm phase II clinical trial with subgroup analysis between the older and young patients.Radiat Oncol J. 2021 Dec; 39: 270-278
- Updating and validating the Charlson comorbidity index and score for risk adjustment in hospital discharge abstracts using data from 6 countries.Am J Epidemiol. 2011 Mar 15; 173: 676-682
- Emergency presentation of cancer and short-term mortality.Br J Cancer. 2013 Oct 15; 109: 2027-2034
- Causes and outcomes of emergency presentation of rectal cancer.Int J Cancer. 2016 Sep 1; 139: 1031-1039
- Rectal cancer surgery in patients more than 80 years of age.Am J Surg. 2003 Jan; 185: 54-57
- Elderly patients with rectal cancer have a higher risk of treatment-related complications and a poorer prognosis than younger patients: a population-based study.Eur J Cancer. 2006 Nov; 42: 3015-3021
- Enrollment of elderly patients in clinical trials for cancer drug registration: a 7-year experience by the US Food and Drug Administration.J Clin Oncol. 2004 Nov 15; 22: 4626-4631
- Inclusion of women and minorities in clinical trials and the NIH Revitalization Act of 1993--the perspective of NIH clinical trialists.Contr Clin Trials. 1995 Oct; 16 (; discussion 286): 277-285
- Implications for determining the optimal treatment for locally advanced rectal cancer in elderly patients aged 75 years and older.Oncotarget. 2015 Oct 6; 6: 30377-30383
- Rectal cancer treatment and outcomes in elderly patients treated with curative intent.Mol Clin Oncol. 2021 Dec; 15: 256
- From Dukes through Jass: pathological prognostic indicators in rectal cancer.Hum Pathol. 1994 May; 25: 498-505
- Distinct prognosis of high versus mid/low rectal cancer: a propensity score-matched cohort study.J Gastrointest Surg. 2019 Jul; 23: 1474-1484
- The impact of tumour distance from the anal verge on clinical management and outcomes in patients having a curative resection for rectal cancer.J Gastrointest Surg. 2017 Dec; 21: 2056-2065
- Does rectal cancer height influence the oncological outcome?.Colorectal Dis. 2014 Oct; 16: 801-808
- Is the Charlson comorbidity index a prognostic indicator for toxicity and mortality in elderly patients with locally advanced rectal cancer?.Arch Iran Med. 2019 May 1; 22: 236-241