- •Prophylactic mastectomy can be performed in patients with unilateral. breast cancer without compromise of oncological treatment.
- •Obesity and active smoking are predictors for mastectomy complications.
- •Detailed discussions between surgeons and patients for the decision of undergoing CPM is imperative.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Increasing use of contralateral prophylactic mastectomy for breast cancer patients: a trend toward more aggressive surgical treatment.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 5203-5209
- Contralateral prophylactic mastectomy (CPM) consensus statement from the American Society of Breast Surgeons: data on CPM outcomes and risks.Ann Surg Oncol. 2016; 23: 3100-3105
- Society of surgical oncology: position statement on prophylactic mastectomy. Approved by the society of surgical oncology executive council, march 2007.Ann Surg Oncol. 2007; 14: 2425-2427
- Postoperative complications following simultaneous therapeutic and contralateral prophylactic nipple-sparing mastectomy: a retrospective study.Mastology (Online). 2021; : 1-8
- Cost-effectiveness of contralateral prophylactic mastectomy versus routine surveillance in patients with unilateral breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 2993
- Cost-effectiveness of contralateral prophylactic mastectomy for prevention of contralateral breast cancer.Ann Surg Oncol. 2014; 21: 2209-2217
- Factors associated with contralateral preventive mastectomy.Breast Cancer. 2015; 7: 1
- Outcome evaluation after 2023 nipple-sparing mastectomies: our experience.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017; 139 (47e): 335e
- Clinical impact of delaying initiation of adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 735
- Bilateral implant breast reconstruction: outcomes, predictors, and matched cohort analysis in 730 2-stage breast reconstructions over 10 years.Ann Plast Surg. 2014; 72: 625-630
- Is it worth the risk? Contralateral prophylactic mastectomy with immediate bilateral breast reconstruction.Ann Plast Surg. 2021; 87: S2-S6