- •Severe persistent mental illness portends worse outcomes in breast cancer patients.
- •SPMI is associated with longer hospitalization after mastectomy.
- •SPMI is associated with more bilateral mastectomies and less breast reconstruction.
- •SPMI increases the risk of post-procedural infection and sepsis.
- •There is increased need for standardized screening to identify patients with SPMI.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- World health organization; [cited 2021 august 10].(Available from:)
- Prognostic value of depression and anxiety on breast cancer recurrence and mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis of 282,203 patients.Mol Psychiatr. 2020 Dec; 25 (PubMed PMID: 32820237. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC7714689. Epub 2020/08/21): 3186-3197
- Prevalence and prognostic implications of psychological distress in patients with gastric cancer.BMC Cancer. 2017 Apr 20; 17 (PubMed PMID: 28427439. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC5399416. Epub 2017/04/22): 283
- NCCN Guidelines for Distress during Cancer Care. National Comprehensive Cancer Network, 2021 ([updated 2020; cited 2021 October 31]; Available from:)
- Psychological distress and resilience in women diagnosed with breast cancer in Greece.Asian Pac J Cancer Prev APJCP. 2017 Sep 27; 18 (PubMed PMID: 28952298. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC5720664. Epub 2017/09/28): 2545-2550
- Psychiatric problems in the first year after mastectomy.Br Med J. 1978 Apr 15; 1 (PubMed PMID: 565239. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC1603831. Epub 1978/04/15): 963-965
- Effects of immediate breast reconstruction on psychosocial morbidity after mastectomy.Lancet. 1983 Feb 26; 1 (PubMed PMID: 6131178. Epub 1983/02/26): 459-462
- Evaluation of symptoms of anxiety and depression in women with breast cancer after breast amputation or conservation treated with adjuvant chemotherapy.Ann Agric Environ Med. 2015; 22 (PubMed PMID: 25780852): 185-189
- Predictors of depression and anxiety symptom trajectories in the 24 months following diagnosis of breast or gynaecologic cancer.Breast. 2016 Apr; 26 (PubMed PMID: 27017248. Epub 2016/03/29): 100-105
- Quality of life and symptom burden in patients with breast cancer treated with mastectomy and lumpectomy.Support Care Cancer. 2016 May; 24 (PubMed PMID: 26563182. Epub 2015/11/14): 2191-2199
- Definition and prevalence of severe and persistent mental illness.Br J Psychiatry. 2000 Aug; 177 (PubMed PMID: 11026955. Epub 2000/10/12): 149-155
- The overall and sex- and age-group specific incidence rates of cancer in people with schizophrenia: a population-based cohort study.Epidemiol Psychiatr Sci. 2020 May 28; 29 (PubMed PMID: 32460950. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC7264860. Epub 2020/05/29): e132
- A systematic review of mortality in schizophrenia: is the differential mortality gap worsening over time?.Arch Gen Psychiatr. 2007 Oct; 64 (PubMed PMID: 17909124. Epub 2007/10/03): 1123-1131
- Pattern of mortality in a sample of Maryland residents with severe mental illness.Psychiatr Res. 2010 Apr 30; 176 (PubMed PMID: 20207013. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC2966471. Epub 2010/03/09): 242-245
- Cancer screening, prevention, and treatment in people with mental illness.CA A Cancer J Clin. 2016 Mar-Apr; 66 (PubMed PMID: 26663383. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC4783271. Epub 2015/12/15): 134-151
- Excess cancer mortality in Western Australian psychiatric patients due to higher case fatality rates.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2000 May; 101 (PubMed PMID: 10823298. Epub 2000/05/24): 382-388
- Excess cancer mortality in psychiatric patients.Can J Psychiatr. 2008 Nov; 53 (PubMed PMID: 19087469. Epub 2008/12/18): 753-761
- Impact of preexisting mental illness on all-cause and breast cancer–specific mortality in elderly patients with breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2017; 35 (PubMed PMID: 28934000): 4012-4018
- Cancer-related mortality in people with mental illness.JAMA Psychiatr. 2013; 70: 209-217
- Comorbidities and mortality in persons with schizophrenia: a Swedish national cohort study.Am J Psychiatr. 2013 Mar; 170 (PubMed PMID: 23318474. Epub 2013/01/16): 324-333
- Palliative care for people with severe persistent mental illness: a review of the literature.Can J Psychiatr. 2008 Nov; 53 (PubMed PMID: 19087466. Epub 2008/12/18): 725-736
- Outcome of schizophreniform disorder.Curr Psychiatr Rep. 2003 Jul; 5 (PubMed PMID: 12773271. Epub 2003/05/30): 192-196
- HCUP; [cited 2021 June 28]; Available from:) (
- Defining severe and persistent mental illness-A pragmatic utility concept analysis.Front Psychiatr. 2020; 11 (PubMed PMID: 32733295. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC7358610. Epub 2020/08/01): 648
- Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data.Med Care. 1998; 36: 8-27
- Comparing Charlson and Elixhauser comorbidity indices with different weightings to predict in-hospital mortality: an analysis of national inpatient data.BMC Health Serv Res. 2021 2021/01/06; 21: 13
- Association between preexisting mental illnesses and mortality among medicaid-insured women diagnosed with breast cancer.Soc Sci Med. 2021; 270 (2021/02/01/)113643
- Associations between mental health and surgical outcomes among women undergoing mastectomy for cancer.Breast J. 2013 May-Jun; 19 (PubMed PMID: 23521554. Epub 2013/03/26): 276-284
- Quality of life and patient satisfaction after microsurgical abdominal flap versus staged expander/implant breast reconstruction: a critical study of unilateral immediate breast reconstruction using patient-reported outcomes instrument BREAST-Q.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2014 Jul; 146 (PubMed PMID: 24831775. Epub 2014/05/17): 117-126
- A comparison of psychological response, body image, sexuality, and quality of life between immediate and delayed autologous tissue breast reconstruction: a prospective long-term outcome study.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016; 138 (PubMed PMID: 00006534-201610000-00008): 772-780
Shamsunder MG, Chu JJ, Polanco TO, et al., The Impact of Psychiatric Diagnoses on Patient-reported Satisfaction and Quality of Life in Post-mastectomy Breast Reconstruction. Annals of Surgery 9900 10.1097/SLA.0000000000005478.
- Patient characteristics, length of stay, and functional improvement for schizophrenia spectrum disorders: a population study of inpatient care in ontario 2005 to 2015.Can J Psychiatr. 2017 Dec; 62 (PubMed PMID: 29194005. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC5714115. Epub 2017/12/02): 854-863
- Presurgery distress and specific response expectancies predict postsurgery outcomes in surgery patients confronting breast cancer.Health Psychol. 2004 Jul; 23 (PubMed PMID: 15264974. Epub 2004/07/22): 381-387
- Potential medical and surgical complications of serotonergic antidepressant medications.Psychosomatics. 2007 Jan-Feb; 48 (PubMed PMID: 17209143. Epub 2007/01/09): 1-9
- Anesthesia with ketamine, propofol, and fentanyl decreases the frequency of postoperative psychosis emergence and confusion in schizophrenic patients.J Clin Anesth. 2002 Mar; 14 (PubMed PMID: 11943522. Epub 2002/04/12): 107-110
- Development of a screening tool for the identification of psychooncological treatment need in breast cancer patients.Psycho Oncol. 2009 Sep; 18 (PubMed PMID: 19142844. Epub 2009/01/15): 974-983
- Disparities in breast and cervical cancer screening in women with mental illness: a systematic literature review.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 44 (2013/04/01/): 392-398
- Depression, cortisol, and suppressed cell-mediated immunity in metastatic breast cancer.Brain Behav Immun. 2009 Nov; 23 (PubMed PMID: 19643176): 1148-1155
- The relationship between post-surgery infection and breast cancer recurrence.J Hosp Infect. 2020; 106 (2020/11/01/): 522-535
- National trends and complication rates after bilateral mastectomy and immediate breast reconstruction from 2005 to 2012.Am J Surg. 2015 Sep; 210 (PubMed PMID: 26054659. Epub 2015/06/10): 512-516