- •This is one of the only studies to evaluate the effect of intraoperative three-dimensional (3-D) tomosynthesis on breast conservation therapy (BCT).
- •The focus of this study was the impact of 3-D tomosynthesis on positive margin rates with BCT.
- •The main analysis found no significant difference in the margin positivity rates between 3-D tomosynthesis and standard imaging.
- •The secondary measures also found no benefit with the use of intraoperative 3-D tomosynthesis.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Twenty-year follow-up of arandomized study comparing total mastectomy, lumpectomy, and lumpectomy plus irradiation for the treatment of invasive breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2002; 347: 1233-1241
- Repeat surgery after breast conservation for the treatment of stage 0 to II breast carcinoma: a report from the National Cancer Data Base, 2004-2010.JAMA Surg. 2014; 149: 1296-1305
- Variability in reexcision following breast conservation surgery.JAMA. 2012; 307: 467-475
- The association of surgical margins and local recurrence in women with early-stage invasive breast cancer treated with breast-conserving therapy: a meta-analysis.Ann Surg Oncol. 2014; 21: 717-730
- Patient-level costs in margin re-excision for breast conserving surgery.Br J Surg. 2019; 106: 384-394
- A randomized, controlled trial of cavity shave margins in breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 503-510
- Resection of cavity shave margins in stage 0–III breast cancer patients undergoing breast conserving surgery: a prospective multicenter randomized controlled trial.Ann Surg Oncol. 2021; 273: 876-881
- Excising additional margins at initial breast-conserving surgery (BCS) reduces the need for re-excision in a predominantly African American population: a report of a randomized prospective study in a public hospital.Ann Surg Oncol. 2016; 23: 456-464
- High resolution intra-operative two-dimensional specimen mammography and its impact on second operation for re-excision of positive margins at final pathology after breast conservation surgery.Am J Surg. 2011; 202: 387-394
- Differences in re-excision rates for breast-conserving surgery using intraoperative 2D versus 3D tomosynthesis specimen radiograph.Ann Surg Oncol. 2020; 27: 4767-4776
- Lumpectomy specimen radiography: does orientation or 3-dimensional tomosynthesis improve margin assessment?.Can Assoc Radiol J. 2019; 70: 282-291
- Breast cancer guidelines (version 2.2021)” NCCN clinical practice Guidelines in Oncology.
- American society of breast surgeons (ASBS).Dev Approv. December 20 2017; (Published 2018)
- Toolbox to reduce lumpectomy reoperations and improve cosmetic coutcome in breast cancer patients: the American Society of Breast Surgeons Consensus Conference.Ann Surg Oncol. 2015; 22: 3174-3183
- Society of Surgical Oncology–American Society for Radiation Oncology consensus guideline on margins for breast-conserving surgery with whole-breast irradiation in stages I and II invasive breast cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014; 88: 553-564
- Society of Surgical Oncology–American Society for Radiation Oncology–American Society of Clinical Oncology consensus guideline on margins for breast-conserving surgery with whole-breast irradiation in ductal carcinoma in situ.Ann Surg Oncol. 2016; 23: 3801-3810
- Resection of cavity shave margins in stage 0–III breast cancer patients undergoing breast conserving surgery: a prospective multicenter randomized controlled trial.Ann Surg. 2021; 273: 876-881
- Differences in Re-excisions rates for breast conserving surgery using intraoperative 2D vs. 3D tomosynthesis specimen radiograph.Ann Surg Oncol. 2019 May; (Poster presented at: American Society of Breast Surgeons) (Dallas, TX): 1-4
- The temporal and financial benefit of intraoperative breast specimen imaging: a pilot study of the Kubtec MOZART.Breast J. 2019; 25: 766-768
- Factors associated with negative margins of lumpectomy specimen: potential use in selecting patients for intraoperative radiotherapy.Ann Surg Oncol. 2008; 15: 833-842
- Factors associated with residual breast cancer after re-excision for close or positive margins.Ann Surg Oncol. 2004; 11: 915-920
- Oncological safety and cosmetic outcomes in oncoplastic breast conservation surgery, a review of the best level of evidence literature.Breast Cancer. 2017; 9: 521
- Oncoplastic breast conservation surgery: the new paradigm.J Surg Oncol 110. 2014; 1: 82-89
- Cosmesis and satisfaction after breast-conserving surgery correlates with the percentage of breast volume excised.J British Surg. 2003; 90: 1505-1509
- Margin re‐excision and local recurrence in invasive breast cancer: a cost analysis using a decision tree model.J Surg Oncol. 2015; 112: 443-448
- Obtaining adequate surgical margins in breast-conserving therapy for patients with early-stage breast cancer: current modalities and future directions.Ann Surg Oncol. 2009; 16: 2717-2730
- Predictors of local recurrence after breast-conservation therapy.Clin Breast Cancer. 2005; 5: 425-438
- Local relapse in primary breast cancer patients with unexcised positive surgical margins after lumpectomy, radiotherapy and chemoendocrine therapy.Ann Oncol. 1999; 10: 1451-1456
- The consequence of multiple re-excisions to obtain clear lumpectomy margins in breast cancer patients.Ann Surg Oncol. 2005; 12: 881-885
- Accuracy of intraoperative frozen-section analysis of breast cancer lumpectomy-bed margins.J Am Coll Surg. 2005; 201: 194-198
- Accuracy of frozen section in intraoperative margin assessment for breast-conserving surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2021; 16e0248768