- •Medical student mistreatment occurs throughout the clinical curriculum.
- •Medical student mistreatment negatively impacts team dynamics and patient safety.
- •Attendings, residents, and fellows are common perpetrators of verbal/emotional abuse.
- •Patients are common perpetrators of sexual harassment, gender, and race mistreatment.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Medical School Graduation Questionnaire: final: all schools report.
- The prevalence of medical student mistreatment and its association with burnout.Acad Med. 2014; 89: 749-754https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000000204
- Harassment and discrimination in medical training: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Acad Med. 2014; 89: 817-827https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000000200
- Strong D. Medical student mistreatment results in symptoms of posttraumatic stress.Acad Psychiatr. 2009; 33: 302-306https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ap.33.4.302
- Discrimination, abuse, harassment, and burnout in surgical residency training.N Engl J Med. Oct 31 2019; 381: 1741-1752https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsa1903759
- In the age of professionalism, student harassment is alive and well.Med Educ. 2008; 42: 447-448
- Assessment of the prevalence of medical student mistreatment by sex, race/ethnicity, and sexual orientation.JAMA Intern Med. 2020; 180: 653-665https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2020.0030
- To the point: undergraduate medical education learner mistreatment issues on the learning environment in the United States.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 221: 377-382https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2019.04.021
- Bullying among doctors in training: cross sectional questionnaire survey.BMJ. 2004; 329 (AE): 658-659https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.38133.502569
- Mistreatment experiences, protective workplace systems, and occupational distress in physicians.JAMA Netw Open. 2022; 5e2210768https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2022.10768
- Physician mistreatment in the clinical learning environment.Am J Surg. 2020 Aug; 220 (PubMed PMID: 32067704. Epub 2020/02/19. Eng): 276-281
- Changes in burnout and satisfaction with work-life integration in physicians and the general US working population between 2011 and 2017.Mayo Clin Proc. 2019; 94: 1681-1694https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mayocp.2018.10.023
- Evaluation of work satisfaction, stress, and burnout among US internal medicine physicians and trainees.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e2018758https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.18758
- Associations between career satisfaction, personal life factors, and work-life integration practices among US surgeons by gender.JAMA Surg. 2020; 155: 742-750https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2020.1332
- Association between physician burnout and patient safety, professionalism, and patient satisfaction: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA Intern Med. 2018; 178: 1317-1331https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.3713
- Relationship between burnout and mistreatment: who plays a role?.Am J Surg. 2021; 222: 1060-1065https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2021.06.009
- The impact of rudeness on medical team performance: a randomized trial.Pediatrics. 2015; 136: 487-495https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2015-1385
- Incivility and creativity in teams: examining the role of perpetrator gender.J Appl Psychol. 2021 Apr; 106 (PubMed PMID: 32551738. Epub 2020/06/20. eng): 560-581
- Workplace incivility and its influence on professional quality of life among nurses from multicultural background: a cross-sectional study.J Clin Nurs. 2019 Jul; 28 (PubMed PMID: 30811737. Epub 2019/02/28. eng): 2553-2564
- Using a modified A3 lean framework to identify ways to increase students' reporting of mistreatment behaviors.Acad Med. 2018 Apr; 93 (PMID: 29076825): 606-611https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000002033
- Teamwork and patient safety in dynamic domains of healthcare: a review of the literature.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2009; 53: 143-151https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-6576.2008.01717.x
- Teams, tribes and patient safety: overcoming barriers to effective teamwork in healthcare.Postgrad Med. 2014; 90: 149-154https://doi.org/10.1136/postgradmedj-2012-131168