- •External beam radiation was most frequently used for locoregional control.
- •Palliative radiation was more common in poorly differentiated cancer.
- •Complications are common, but the majority of patients completed treatment.
- •Gastrostomy is associated with mortality in non-anaplastic thyroid cancer.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Analysis of the rising incidence of thyroid cancer using the Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results national cancer data registry.Surgery. 2010 Dec; 148 (discussion 52-3. PubMed PMID: 21134545. Epub 2010/12/08. eng): 1147-1152
- Trends in thyroid cancer incidence and mortality in the United States, 1974-2013.JAMA. 2017 Apr 4; 317 (PubMed PMID: 28362912. Epub 2017/04/01. eng): 1338-1348
- American thyroid association management guidelines for adult patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer: the American thyroid association guidelines task force on thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer.Thyroid. 2015; 26 (2016 Jan PubMed PMID: 26462967. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC4739132. Epub 2015/10/16. eng): 1-133
- Thyroid cancer survival in the United States: observational data from 1973 to 2005.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010 May; 136 (PubMed PMID: 20479371. Epub 2010/05/19. eng): 440-444
- Thyroid lobectomy for papillary thyroid cancer: long-term follow-up study of 1,088 cases.World J Surg. 2014 Jan; 38 (PubMed PMID: 24081532. Epub 2013/10/02. eng): 68-79
- Local and regional control in patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma: specific indications of external radiotherapy and radioactive iodine according to T and N categories in AJCC 6th edition.Endocr Relat Cancer. 2006 Dec; 13 (PubMed PMID: 17158761. Epub 2006/12/13. eng): 1159-1172
- Role of external beam radiotherapy in patients with advanced or recurrent nonanaplastic thyroid cancer: memorial Sloan-kettering Cancer Center experience.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009 Mar 1; 73 (PubMed PMID: 18676097. Epub 2008/08/05. eng): 795-801
- Treatment intensity and control rates in combining external-beam radiotherapy and radioactive iodine therapy for metastatic or recurrent differentiated thyroid cancer.Int J Clin Oncol. 2020 Apr; 25 (PubMed PMID: 31897803. Epub 2020/01/04. eng): 691-697
- External beam radiotherapy for differentiated thyroid cancer.Clin Oncol. 2010 Aug; 22 (PubMed PMID: 20427166. Epub 2010/04/30. eng): 456-463
- External beam radiotherapy with or without concurrent chemotherapy in advanced or recurrent non-anaplastic non-medullary thyroid cancer.J Surg Oncol. 2014 Sep; 110 (PubMed PMID: 24961938. Epub 2014/06/26. eng): 375-382
- 10-Year locoregional control with postoperative external beam radiotherapy in patients with locally advanced high-risk non-anaplastic thyroid carcinoma de novo or at relapse, a propensity score analysis.Cancers. 2019 Jun 19; 11 (PubMed PMID: 31248183. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC6628348. Epub 2019/06/30. eng)
- Adjuvant external beam radiotherapy in locally advanced differentiated thyroid cancer.JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017 Dec 1; 143 (PubMed PMID: 29098272. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC5824297. Epub 2017/11/04. eng): 1244-1251
- External-beam radiotherapy for differentiated thyroid cancer locoregional control: a statement of the American Head and Neck Society.Head Neck. 2016 Apr; 38 (PubMed PMID: 26716601. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC4975923. Epub 2015/12/31. eng): 493-498
- The role of external beam radiation therapy in well-differentiated thyroid cancer.Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2017 Oct; 17 (PubMed PMID: 28750593. Epub 2017/07/29. eng): 905-910
- External beam radiotherapy in differentiated thyroid carcinoma: a systematic review.Head Neck. 2016 Apr; 38 (PubMed PMID: 26335228. Epub 2015/09/04. eng): E2297-E2305
- American thyroid association guidelines for management of patients with anaplastic thyroid cancer.Thyroid. 2021; 31 (2021 Mar PubMed PMID: 33728999. Epub 2021/03/18. eng): 337-386
- Treatment outcomes in anaplastic thyroid cancer.J Thyroid Res. 2019; 2019 (PubMed PMID: 31249658. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC6556325. Epub 2019/06/30. eng)8218949
- Treatment outcomes of radiotherapy for anaplastic thyroid cancer.Radiat Oncol J. 2018 Jun; 36 (PubMed PMID: 29983030. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC6074067. Epub 2018/07/10. eng): 103-113
- Adjuvant external beam radiotherapy for surgically resected, nonmetastatic anaplastic thyroid cancer.Head Neck. 2020 May; 42 (PubMed PMID: 32011055. Epub 2020/02/06. eng): 1031-1044
- Anaplastic thyroid carcinoma: pathogenesis and emerging therapies.Clin Oncol. 2010 Aug; 22 (PubMed PMID: 20418080. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC3905320. Epub 2010/04/27. eng): 486-497
- The Role of postoperative external beam radiotherapy for differentiated thyroid carcinoma: a Systematic review and meta-analysis.Head Neck. 2020 Aug; 42 (PubMed PMID: 32129545. Epub 2020/03/05. eng): 2181-2193
- Revised American Thyroid Association guidelines for the management of medullary thyroid carcinoma.Thyroid. 2015 Jun; 25 (PubMed PMID: 25810047. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC4490627. Epub 2015/03/27. eng): 567-610
- The role of external beam radiotherapy in the treatment of papillary thyroid cancer.Endocr Relat Cancer. 2006 Dec; 13 (PubMed PMID: 17158749. Epub 2006/12/13. eng): 971-977
- Nutrition in advanced thyroid cancer patients.Nutrients. 2022 Mar 18; 14 (PubMed PMID: 35334955. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC8951395. Epub 2022/03/27. eng)
- Oncology evidence-based nutrition practice guideline for adults.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017 Feb; 117 (e47. PubMed PMID: 27436529. Epub 2016/07/21. eng): 297-310
- Postoperative external beam radiotherapy for differentiated thyroid cancer: outcomes and morbidity with conformal treatment.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009 Jul 15; 74 (PubMed PMID: 19095376. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC2745400. Epub 2008/12/20. eng): 1083-1091
- The REDCap consortium: building an international community of software platform partners.J Biomed Inf. 2019 Jul; 95 (PubMed PMID: 31078660. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC7254481. Epub 2019/05/13. eng)103208
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)--a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inf. 2009 Apr; 42 (PubMed PMID: 18929686. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC2700030. Epub 2008/10/22. eng): 377-381
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy with or without concurrent chemotherapy in nonanaplastic thyroid cancer with unresectable or gross residual disease.Thyroid: Off J Am Thyroid Assoc. 2018; 28 (2018 2018/09// PubMed PMID: 30105947. eng): 1180-1189
- Comparison of survival outcomes following postsurgical radioactive iodine versus external beam radiation in stage IV differentiated thyroid carcinoma.Thyroid. 2017 Jul; 27 (PubMed PMID: 28446057. Epub 2017/04/28. eng): 944-952
- Anaplastic transformation of thyroid cancer: review of clinical, pathologic, and molecular evidence provides new insights into disease biology and future therapy.Head Neck. 2003 Aug; 25 (PubMed PMID: 12884350. Epub 2003/07/29. eng): 662-670
- Quality of life impact of external beam radiotherapy for advanced thyroid carcinoma.Thyroid. 2013 Jan; 23 (PubMed PMID: 22971127. Epub 2012/09/14. eng): 64-69
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy and doxorubicin in thyroid cancer: a prospective phase 2 trial.Cancer. 2021 Nov 15; 127 (PubMed PMID: 34293201. Epub 2021/07/23. eng): 4161-4170
- Health related quality of life in head and neck cancer treated with radiation therapy with or without chemotherapy: a systematic review.Oral Oncol. 2014 Apr; 50 (PubMed PMID: 24559650. Epub 2014/02/25. eng): 254-262
- Impact of radiation-induced toxicities on quality of life of patients treated for head and neck cancer.Radiother Oncol. 2021 Jul; 160 (PubMed PMID: 33892023. Epub 2021/04/24. eng): 47-53
- Changes in quality of life over 1 Year in patients with head and neck cancer.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008; 134: 241-248