- •Providers attuned to a patient's cultural heritage enhance the patient's experience.
- •Lagging diversity among surgeons foments racial/ethnic inequities in surgical care.
- •Minority representation within surgery residency was examined from 2005 to 2019.
- •Program applicants increased in diversity but actual minority recruitment stagnated.
- •Surgery residency diversification efforts must be expanded to be effective nationally.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Time to reconsider the word minority in academic medicine.J Best Practices Health Profess Div. 2019; 12: 72-78
- Race and surgical mortality in the United States.Ann Surg. 2006; 243: 281-286https://doi.org/10.1097/01.sla.0000197560.92456.32
- Racial disparities among patients with lung cancer who were recommended operative therapy.Arch Surg. 2009; 144: 14-18https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.2008.519
- From understanding to action: interventions for surgical disparities.J Surg Res. 2016; 200: 560-578https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2015.09.016
- The influence of race on short-term outcomes after laminectomy and/or fusion spine surgery.Spine. 2017; 42: 34-41https://doi.org/10.1097/brs.0000000000001657
- Racial differences in complication risk following emergency general surgery: who your surgeon is may matter.J Surg Res. 2019; 235: 424-431https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2018.05.086
- Racial disparities in surgical care and outcomes in the United States: a comprehensive review of patient, provider, and systemic factors.J American College Surgery. 2013; 216 (e412): 482-492https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2012.11.014
- Access to common laparoscopic general surgical procedures: do racial disparities exist?.Surg Endosc. 2020; 34: 1376-1386https://doi.org/10.1007/s00464-019-06912-w
Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). Underrepresented in Medicine Definition. Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). https://www.aamc.org/what-we-do/mission-areas/diversity-inclusion/underrepresented-in-medicine. Accessed December 22, 2022.
- Major deficit in the number of underrepresented minority academic surgeons persists.Ann Surg. 2008; 248: 704-711https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e31817f2c30
Jones N., Marks R., Ramirez R., Ríos-Vargas M. Census illuminates racial and ethnic composition of the country. U S Census Bureau Dep Commer. 2020. https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2021/08/improved-race-ethnicity-measures-reveal-united-states-population-much-more-multiracial.html. [Accessed 22 December 2022] Published 2021.
- Patient-physician racial concordance and the perceived quality and use of health care.Arch Intern Med. 1999; 159: 997-1004https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.159.9.997
- Do patients choose physicians of their own race?.Health Aff. 2000; 19: 76-83https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.19.4.76
- Is doctor-patient race concordance associated with greater satisfaction with care?.J Health Soc Behav. 2002; 43 (Published 2002/12/07): 296-306https://doi.org/10.2307/3090205
- Minority physicians' role in the care of underserved patients: diversifying the physician workforce may be key in addressing health disparities.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 289-291https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.12756
- The predictors of patient-physician race and ethnic concordance: a medical facility fixed-effects approach.Health Serv Res. 2010; 45: 792-805https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2010.01086.x
- Unequal treatment: confronting racial and ethnic disparities in health care.in: Institute of Medicine. US National Academies Press, National Academy of Sciences, Washington (DC)2003https://doi.org/10.17226/12875
- Does diversity matter for health? Experimental evidence from Oakland.Am Econ Rev. 2019; 109: 4071-4111https://doi.org/10.1257/aer.20181446
- The diverse surgeons' initiative: longitudinal assessment of a successful national program.J Am Coll Surg. 2015; 220: 362-369https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2014.12.006
- Pipeline program recruits and retains women and underrepresented minorities in procedure based specialties: a brief report.Am J Surg. 2017; 213: 662-665https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2016.11.022
- Leading from the front: an approach to increasing racial and ethnic diversity in surgical training programs.Ann Surg. 2019; 269: 1012-1015https://doi.org/10.1097/sla.0000000000003197
Joy K. ‘Michigan Promise’ Aims to Diversify, Strengthen Surgical Field Michigan Health Lab, Regents of the University of Michigan. https://labblog.uofmhealth.org/industry-dx/michigan-promise-aims-to-diversify-strengthen-surgical-field. Published 2019. Accessed December 22, 2022.
- Improving health care career pipeline programs for underrepresented students: program design that makes a difference.Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education & Action. 2019; 13: 113-122https://doi.org/10.1353/cpr.2019.0044
- Recruitment of underrepresented minorities in medical school through a student-led initiative.J Nat Med Asso. 2016; 108: 147-151https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnma.2016.05.003
- AAMC report examines how to increase the pipeline of black men entering medical school.J Am Med Assoc. 2015; 314: 2222-2224https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2015.12005
- Surgical time out: our counts are still short on racial diversity in academic surgery.Am J Surg. 2018; 215: 542-548https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2017.06.028
- Where is the leak in the surgeon pipeline?.Am J Surg. 2020; 220: 1174-1178https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2020.06.048
- Trends in race/ethnicity among applicants and matriculants to US surgical specialties, 2010-2018.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e2023509https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.23509
- Diversity matters: a 21-year review of trends in resident recruitment into surgical specialties.Ann Surgery Open. 2021; 2e100https://doi.org/10.1097/as9.0000000000000100
- Decisions, decisions: how program diversity influences residency program choice.J American College Surgery. 2011; 213: 294-305https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2011.04.026
- Factors influencing US medical students' decision to pursue surgery.J Surg Res. 2016; 203: 64-74https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2016.03.054
- Perceptual and structural facilitators and barriers to becoming a surgeon: a qualitative study of African American and Latino surgeons.Acad Med. 2018; 93: 1326-1334https://doi.org/10.1097/acm.0000000000002282
- Ensuring equity, diversity, and inclusion in academic surgery: an American Surgical Association white paper.Ann Surg. 2018; 268: 403-407https://doi.org/10.1097/sla.0000000000002937
- A cross-sectional evaluation of the successful minority applicant to orthopaedic surgery residency programs.J Racial Ethnic Health Disparit. 2021; ([Online ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1007/s40615-021-01155-9
- Underrepresented minorities are underrepresented among general surgery applicants selected to interview.J Surg Educ. 2019; 76: e15-e23https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsurg.2019.05.018
- A predictive model for USMLE step 1 scores.Cureus. 2016; 8: e769https://doi.org/10.7759/cureus.769
- Reducing reliance on test scores reduces racial bias in neurology residency recruitment.J Nat Med Asso. 2019; 111: 471-474https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnma.2019.03.004
- The science of selection: using best practices from industry to improve success in surgery training.J Surg Educ. 2018; 75: 278-285https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsurg.2017.07.010
- Withdrawal and extended leave during residency training: results of a national survey.Acad Med. 1995; 70 (Published 1995/12/01): 1117-1124
- Association of time to attrition in surgical residency with individual resident and programmatic factors.JAMA Surgery. 2018; 153: 511-517https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2017.6202
- Minority resident physicians' views on the role of race/ethnicity in their training experiences in the workplace.JAMA Netw Open. 2018; 1e182723https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2018.2723
- National evaluation of racial/ethnic discrimination in US surgical residency programs.JAMA Surgery. 2020; 155: 526-528https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2020.0260