- •Sensitivity and accuracy of pre-operative localization of parathyroid glands is associated with Ca and PTH levels.
- •DECT had a higher sensitivity and accuracy than CT MIBI and US in all patient subgroups.
- •DECT had a salvage detection rate of 52.3% in patients for whom CT MIBI and US did not localize.
- •DECT can be utilized as a first-line or salvage test when CT-MIBI and US are non-localizing.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The American association of endocrine surgeons guidelines for definitive management of primary hyperparathyroidism.JAMA Surg. 2016 Oct 1; 151: 959
- National trends in parathyroid surgery from 1998 to 2008: a decade of change.J Am Coll Surg. 2009; 209: 332-343
- A meta-analysis of preoperative localization techniques for patients with primary hyperparathyroidism.Ann Surg Oncol. 2012 Feb; 19: 577-583
- 3-phase dual-energy CT scan as a feasible salvage imaging modality for the identification of non-localizing parathyroid adenomas: a prospective study.J Otolaryngol - Head Neck Surg. 2015 Dec; 44: 44
Mahajan A, Starker L, Ghita M, Udelsman R, Brink J, Carling T. Parathyroid four-dimensional computed tomography: evaluation of radiation dose exposure during preoperative localization of parathyroid tumors in primary hyperparathyroidism. World J Surg. 36(6):1335–1339.
- Dual-energy computed tomography: a promising novel preoperative localization study for treatment of primary hyperparathyroidism.Am J Surg. 2016 May; 211: 839-845
- Dual energy computed tomography should be a first line preoperative localization imaging test for primary hyperparathyroidism patients.Am J Surg. 2018 May; 215: 788-792
- Advanced computed tomographic localization techniques for primary hyperparathyroidism: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA Otolaryngol Neck Surg. 2022 May 1; 148: 448
- Factors that affect the sensitivity of imaging modalities in primary hyperparathyroidism.Internet J Endocrinol. 2021; (2021 Feb 20): 1-8
- Factors contributing to negative parathyroid localization: an analysis of 1000 patients.Surgery. 2008 Jul; 144: 74-79
- Retrospective evaluation of the pre- and postoperative factors influencing the sensitivity of localization studies in primary hyperparathyroidism.Int J Surg. 2016 Jan; 25: 82-87
- Mild hypercalcemia: an indication to select 4-dimensional computed tomography scan for preoperative localization of parathyroid adenomas.Am J Surg. 2011 Mar; 201: 334-338
- Impact of hypercalcemia and parathyroid hormone level on the sensitivity of preoperative sestamibi scanning for primary hyperparathyroidism.Am Surg. 2003 May; 69: 393-398
- Predictors of single-gland vs multigland parathyroid disease in primary hyperparathyroidism: a simple and accurate scoring model.Arch Surg. 2006 Aug 1; 141: 777
- Dual energy 4D-CT of parathyroid adenomas not clearly localized by sestamibi scintigraphy and ultrasonography - a retrospective study.Eur J Radiol. 2020 Mar; 124108821
- Detection of multiple gland primary hyperparathyroidism in the era of minimally invasive parathyroidectomy.Surgery. 2004; 136: 1303-1309
- Accuracy of preoperative localization studies and intraoperative parathyroid hormone assay in patients with primary hyperparathyroidism and double adenoma.J Am Coll Surg. 2003; 197: 739-746
- A prospective trial evaluating a standard approach to reoperation for missed parathyroid adenoma.Ann Surg. 1996 Sep; 224: 308-320
- Reoperative parathyroidectomy: an algorithm for imaging and monitoring of intraoperative parathyroid hormone levels that results in a successful focused approach.Surgery. 2008; 144: 611-621
- Improved preoperative planning for directed parathyroidectomy with 4-dimensional computed tomography.Surgery. 2006 Dec; 140: 932-940
- MIBI scintigraphy of parathyroid adenomas: correlation with biochemical and histological markers.Endocr Res. 2018; 43: 141-148
- Negative imaging studies for primary hyperparathyroidism are unavoidable: correlation of sestamibi and high-resolution ultrasound scanning with histological analysis in 150 patients.World J Surg. 2006; 30: 697-704
- Parameters in the prediction of the sensitivity of parathyroid scanning.Clin Nucl Med. 2006; 31: 679-682
- Dualphase 99mTc sestamibi scintigraphy with neck and Thorax SPECT/CT in primary hyperparathyroidism.Clin Nucl Med. 2012; 37: 223-228
- Can localization studies be used to direct focused parathyroid operations?.Surgery. 2001 Jun; 129: 720-729
- Biological factors influencing parathyroid localization.Nucl Med Commun. 2003; 24: 121-124
- Comparison of hyperparathyroidism types and utility of dual radiopharmaceutical acquisition with Tc99m sestamibi and 123I for localization of rapid washout parathyroid adenomas.Osteoporos Int. 2019; 30: 1051-1057
- Parathyroid scintigraphy.J Nucl Med Technol. 1997; 25: 59-65
- Intraoperative adjunct methods for localization in primary hyperparathyroidism.Sisli Etfal Hast Tip Bul. 2019; 53