- •Patient-centric resident conferences are a valuable tool in resident education.
- •PCRCs help residents understand patients' perioperative experiences.
- •Patients value communication, quality of life, and the patient-physician relationship.
- •Residents do not emphasize the impact of the system on perioperative care.
- •Themes from PCRCs are complimentary to material covered in resident didactics.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Paperwork versus patient care: a nationwide survey of residents' perceptions of clinical documentation requirements and patient care.J Grad Med Educ. 2013; 5 (Dec): 600-604https://doi.org/10.4300/JGME-D-12-00377.1
- Documenting or operating: where is time spent in general surgery residency?.J Surg Educ. 2018; 75 (Nov): e97-e106https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsurg.2018.10.010
- The impact of electronic health record systems on clinical documentation times: a systematic review.Health Pol. 2018; 122 (Aug): 827-836https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthpol.2018.05.014
- The wake of the 2003 and 2011 duty hours regulations, how do internal medicine interns spend their time?.J Gen Intern Med. 2013; 28 (Aug): 1042-1047https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-013-2376-6
- Racing against the clock: internal medicine residents' time spent on electronic health records.J Grad Med Educ. 2016; 8 (Feb): 39-44https://doi.org/10.4300/JGME-D-15-00240.1
- Improving surgical residents' communication in disclosing complications: a qualitative analysis of simulated physician and patient surrogate conversations.Am J Surg. 2018; 215 (Feb): 331-335https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2017.10.041
- A review of empathy, its importance, and its teaching in surgical training.J Surg Educ. 2018; 75 (Jan - Feb): 88-94https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsurg.2017.06.035
- Interventions to cultivate physician empathy: a systematic review.BMC Med Educ. 2014; 14: 219
- A systematic review of surgeon-patient communication: strengths and opportunities for improvement.Patient Educ Counsel. Oct 2013; 93: 3-17https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2013.03.023
- Talk the talk: implementing a communication curriculum for surgical residents.J Surg Educ. 2017; 74 (Mar - Apr): 319-328https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsurg.2016.09.009
- National survey of burnout among US general surgery residents.J Am Coll Surg. 2016; 223 (Sep): 440-451https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2016.05.014
- "Back to bedside": residents' and fellows' perspectives on finding meaning in work.J Grad Med Educ. 2017; 9 (Apr): 269-273https://doi.org/10.4300/JGME-D-17-00136.1
- Burnout and stress among US surgery residents: psychological distress and resilience.J Am Coll Surg. 2018; 226 (Jan): 80-90https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2017.10.010
- Enhancing meaning in work: a pre- scription for preventing physician burnout and pro- moting patient-centered care.JAMA. 2009; 302: 1338-1340
- Empathy is a protective factor of burnout in physicians: new neuro-phenomenological hypotheses regarding empathy and sympathy in care relationship.Front Psychol. 2016; 7: 763https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2016.00763
- Associations between emotional intelligence and doctor burnout, job satisfaction and patient satisfaction.Med Educ. 2011; 45 (Aug): 835-842https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2923.2011.03985.x
- Revitalizing the patient-surgeon relationship: surgical curriculum including the patient perspective.J Surg Educ. 2020; 77 (Nov - Dec): e146-e153https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsurg.2020.08.003
- Surgical council on resident education: a new organization devoted to graduate surgical education.J Am Coll Surg. 2007; 204 (Mar): 341-346https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2007.01.002
- Improving communication skills: a course for academic medical center surgery residents and faculty.J Surg Educ. Nov-Dec 2015; 72: e202-e211https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsurg.2015.06.008
- Emotional intelligence in internal medicine residents: educational implications for clinical performance and burnout.Ann Behav Sci Med Educ. 2009; 14: 65-68