- •Despite advances of ERAS, colectomy still usually demands 1–2 day inpatient stay.
- •Early, limited data exists on same-day-discharge (SDD) after colectomy.
- •We analyze longitudinal outcomes after starting routine SDD during the era.
- •In the last year, over half of patients underwent SDD successfully.
- •Multi-disciplinary pathways and advanced robotic surgical techniques were crucial.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Pre- and postoperative stoma education and guidance within an enhanced recovery after surgery (Eras) programme reduces length of hospital stay in colorectal surgery.Int J Surg. 2016; 36: 121-126
- Does implementation of enhanced recovery after surgery (Eras) protocols in colorectal surgery improve patient outcomes?.Clin Colon Rectal Surg. 2019; 32: 109-113
- Is the enhanced recovery after surgery (Eras) program effective and safe in laparoscopic colorectal cancer surgery? A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.J Gastrointest Surg. 2019; 23: 1502-1512
- Same day discharge following elective, minimally invasive, colorectal surgery : a review of enhanced recovery protocols and early outcomes by the SAGES Colorectal Surgical Committee with recommendations regarding patient selection, remote monitoring, and successful implementation.Surg Endosc. 2022; 36: 7898-7914
- Ambulatory colectomy: a pilot protocol for same day discharge in minimally invasive colorectal surgery.Am J Surg. 2022; 224: 757-760
Lee L, McLemore E, Rashidi L. Same-day discharge after minimally invasive colectomy. JAMA Surg. Published online September 28, 2022.
- Short-term outcomes of ambulatory colectomy for 157 consecutive patients.Ann Surg. 2019; 270: 317-321
- Is same-day and next-day discharge after laparoscopic colectomy reasonable in select patients?.Dis Colon Rectum. 2020; 63: 1427-1435
- North American multicentre evaluation of a same-day discharge protocol for minimally invasive colorectal surgery using mHealth or telephone remote post-discharge monitoring.Surg Endosc. 2022; 13 (Published online April)
- Enhanced recovery 2. 0 – same day discharge with mobile app follow-up after minimally invasive colorectal surgery.Ann Surg. 2021; 33 (Publish Ahead of Print. Diaz-Cambronero O, Flor Lorente B, Mazzinari G, et al. A multifaceted individualized pneumoperitoneum strategy for laparoscopic colorectal surgery: a multicenter observational feasibility study. Surg Endosc. 2019) (252-2)
- Minimal invasive surgery for left colectomy adapted to the COVID-19 pandemic: laparoscopic intracorporeal resection and anastomosis, a “don't touch the bowel” technique.Colorectal Dis. 2021; 23: 1562-1568
- Is natural orifice specimen extraction surgery the future direction of minimally invasive colorectal surgery?.Surg Open Sci. 2022; 10: 106-110
- The patient perspective of same day discharge colectomy: one hundred patients surveyed on their experience following colon surgery.Surg Endosc. 2022;37(1):134-139.;
- What is the evidence for the use of low-pressure pneumoperitoneum? A systematic review.Surg Endosc. 2016; 30: 2049-2065
- Low-pressure versus standard-pressure pneumoperitoneum for laparoscopic cholecystectomy: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Surg. 2014; 208: 143-150
- High-pressure CO2 insufflation is a risk factor for postoperative ileus in patients undergoing TaTME.Updates Surg. 2021; 73: 2181-2187