- •The CHJ-ERAS program for DLIR has been proved safe and feasible, with over 90% of patients recovering with uncomplicated recovery.
- •This is the first study reporting the application of the DLIR process in developing countries with the largest samples of patients in a single center.
- •The current study provides a new and feasible form of enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) in developing countries.
This study was performed to determine the feasibility of Day-case loop ileostomy reversal (DLIR) in China based on the community hospital joined enhanced recovery after surgery (CHJ-ERAS) program.
Patients who underwent loop ileostomy were enrolled in the CHJ-ERAS program for DLIR after rigorous evaluation. The primary outcome was the results of short-term follow-ups.
From August 2017 to April 2022, 216 patients have been enrolled in the CHJ-ERAS program for DLIR. After DLIR, 14 patients (14/216, 6.5%) have recorded 17 episodes of postoperative complications within 1 month after surgery, including 10 readmission and 2 reoperation. Compared with in-patient loop ileostomy reversal, DLIR based on CHJ-ERAS did not increase the postoperative complications and reoperations.
The CMJ-ERAS program for DLIR in our center is a safe and feasible alternative option for inpatient LIR and an acceptable transitional approach for the development of day-case DLIR in developing countries.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Multimodal approach to control postoperative pathophysiology and rehabilitation.Br J Anaesth. 1997 May; 78: 606-617
- A meta-analysis of ambulatory versus inpatient laparoscopic cholecystectomy.Surg Endosc. 2008 Sep; 22: 1928-1934
- Management of acute appendicitis in ambulatory surgery: is it possible? How to select patients?.Ann Surg. 2015 Jun; 261: 1167-1172
- Loop ileostomy closure at an ambulatory surgery facility: a safe and cost-effective alternative to routine hospitalization.Dis Colon Rectum. 2003 Apr; 46: 486-490
- Complications of loop ileostomy closure: a retrospective cohort analysis of 123 patients.World J Surg. 2008 Sep; 32: 2101-2106
- Postoperative morbidity and mortality after anterior resection with preventive diverting loop ileostomy versus loop colostomy for rectal cancer: a updated systematic review and meta-analysis.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2021 Jul; 47: 1514-1525
- Early versus late preventive ileostomy closure following colorectal surgery: systematic review and meta-analysis with trial sequential analysis of randomized controlled trials.Dis Colon Rectum. 2021 Jan; 64: 128-137
- Postoperative management after loop ileostomy closure: are we keeping patients in hospital too long?.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2010 Jan; 92: 51-55
- Day-case closure of ileostomy: feasible, safe and efficient.Colorectal Dis : Off. J. Assoc. Coloproctol. G. B. Irel. 2015 Sep; 17: 820-823
- Day-case stoma surgery: is it feasible?.Surgeon. 2007 Jun; 5: 143-147
- The safety of outpatient stoma closure: on the verge of a paradigm shift?.J Gastrointest Surg : Off. J. Soc. Surg. Alimentary Tract. 2019 Oct; 23: 2019-2026
- Risk factors associated with fast-track ineligibility after monitored anesthesia care in ambulatory surgery patients.Anesth Analg. 2008 May; 106 (table of contents): 1421-1426
- A post-anesthetic discharge scoring system for home readiness after ambulatory surgery.J Clin Anesth. 1995 Sep; 7: 500-506
- Stoma-related complications are more frequent after transverse colostomy than loop ileostomy: a prospective randomized clinical trial.Br J Surg. 2001 Mar; 88: 360-363
- Defunctioning loop ileostomy and stapled side-to-side closure has low morbidity.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2001 Jul; 83: 246-249
- Stapled versus sutured closure of loop ileostomy: a randomized controlled trial.Ann Surg. 2000 Feb; 231: 202-204
- A four-stage DEA-based efficiency evaluation of public hospitals in China after the implementation of new medical reforms.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0203780
- Impact of China's referral reform on the equity and spatial accessibility of healthcare resources: a case study of Beijing.Soc Sci Med. 2019 Aug; 235112386
- Factors associated with utilization of maternal serum screening for Down syndrome in mainland China: a cross-sectional study.BMC Health Serv Res. 2016 Jan 14; 16: 8
- Women's experiences of transfer from primary maternity unit to tertiary hospital in New Zealand: part of the prospective cohort Evaluating Maternity Units study.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2015 Dec 18; 15: 339
- French guidelines for enhanced recovery after elective colorectal surgery.J. Visc Surg. 2014 Feb; 151: 65-79
- [Outpatient surgery: an unstoppable evolution].Rev Med Suisse. 2010 Jun 23; 6: 1302-1305
- The treatment of breast cancer in one day surgery. A four year experience.Ann Ital Chir. 2013 Mar-Apr; 84: 149-152
- Ambulatory thyroid surgery: do the risks overcome the benefits?.Presse Med. 2014 Mar; 43: 291-296
Published online: January 31, 2023
Accepted: January 24, 2023
Received in revised form: January 20, 2023
Received: November 12, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
© 2023 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.