- •An emphasis on understanding how gastrointestinal stapling affects tissue biology.
- •How the biology of healing is critical to understand how to design future stapling.
- •Getting to Zero will require thinking beyond the mechanics of stapling.
As next generation stapling devices enter the marketplace with robotic adaptations, tri-staple technology, preloaded reinforcement materials, etc., in this perspective piece we assert that a “refresh” in our understanding of the mechanisms of action of these devices is needed. While much attention has been paid to explain the mechanical features of one device versus another, it seems that little to no attention is being paid to understand how an intestinal anastomosis responds biologically to the variations in their use and design. Here we will review various aspects of gastrointestinal stapling in the context of emerging technology in the field and expose the gaps in knowledge that exist regarding the effect of gastrointestinal stapling on the biology of healing.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Surgical staplers: a review.J R Coll Surg Edinb. 1997; 42: 1-9
- Staple line/anastomotic reinforcement and other adjuncts: do they make a difference?.Clin Colon Rectal Surg. 2014; 27: 156-161
- Postoperative complications: looking forward to a safer future.Clin Colon Rectal Surg. 2016; 29: 246-252
- Anastomotic leak: are we closer to eliminating its occurrence?.Annals of Laparoscopic and Endoscopic Surgery. 2018; 3
- Intestinal anastomotic healing: what do we know about processes behind anastomotic complications.Front Surg. 2022; 9904810
- Evaluation of sutureless anastomosis after ileostomy takedown using the self-forming magnet anastomosis system in a porcine model.Surg Endosc. 2022; 36: 7664-7672
- Novel concave-convex electrode for colonic anastomoses by radiofrequency thermo-fusion.Surg Endosc. 2015; 29: 1809-1816
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided gastroenterostomy versus open surgical gastrojejunostomy: clinical outcomes and cost effectiveness analysis.Surg Endosc. 2021; 35: 7058-7067
- Hepaticojejunostomy. Modified longmire operation for bile duct carcinoma.Am J Surg. 1967; 114: 722-725
- Anastomotic leak: toward an understanding of its root causes.J Gastrointest Surg. 2021; 25: 2966-2975
- Compression automation of circular stapler for preventing compression injury on gastrointestinal anastomosis.Int J Med Robot. 2022; 18: e2374
- Validity assessment of a simulation module for robot-assisted thoracic lobectomy.Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann. 2019; 27: 23-29
- Surgical stapling device-tissue interactions: what surgeons need to know to improve patient outcomes.Med Devices (Auckl). 2014; 7: 305-318
- Influence of stapler type on in vitro leakage pressures and location of functional end-to-end stapled anastomoses.Can J Vet Res. 2022; 86: 113-115
- Management of lower gastrointestinal bleeding after colorectal resection and stapled anastomosis.Tech Coloproctol. 2009; 13: 49-53
- Increased staple loading pressures and reduced staple heights in laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy reduce intraoperative bleeding.Surgery. 2021; 169: 1110-1115
- Patient acceptance of routine serial postoperative endoscopy following low anterior resection (LAR) and its ability to detect biomarkers in anastomotic lavage fluid.World J Surg. 2021; 45: 2227-2234
- Recommendations to avoid surgical stapler misuse - 2020’s #1 health technology hazard.Avoiding surgical stapler misuse. 2020’s #1 Health Technology Hazard Plymouth Meeting. 2019; (Retrieved from): 1-33
- Battle of the buttress: 5-year propensity-matched analysis of staple-line reinforcement techniques from the MBSAQIP database.Surg Endosc. 2022;
- A Prospective Study of 50 Cases of Laparoscopic Intestinal Anastomosis by Endo GIA Universal Loading Stapler (Green/blue) versus Endo GIA Articulating Reload with Tri Staple Technology (Purple). vol. 7. 2020: 4 (2020)
- Deaths, errors and second victims in surgery: an underestimated problem.Br J Surg. 2020; 107: 152
- Bias in medicine: lessons learned and mitigation strategies.JACC Basic Transl Sci. 2021; 6: 78-85
- Leaks, strictures, and necrosis: a review of anastomotic complications following esophagectomy.Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2004; 16: 124-132
- Systematic review and meta-analysis on colorectal anastomotic techniques.Therapeut Clin Risk Manag. 2022; 18: 523-539
- Construction of J- and S-pouches.Dis Colon Rectum. 2022; 65 (S20-s5)
- Three-dimensional geometry of the Heineke-Mikulicz strictureplasty.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2013; 19: 704-711
- Elasticity and geometry: a computational model of the Heineke-Mikulicz strictureplasty.Biomech Model Mechanobiol. 2014; 13: 1185-1198
- Identification of collagenolytic bacteria in human samples: screening methods and clinical implications for resolving and preventing anastomotic leaks and wound complications.Dis Colon Rectum. 2019; 62: 972-979
- Honors undergraduate theses university of central Florida theses and dissertations.Understanding Medical Error in Surgical Stapler Use: A Philosophical and Scientifific Analysi. 2020; (Stars University of Central Florida)
- Performance of da Vinci Stapler during robotic-assisted right colectomy with intracorporeal anastomosis.J Robot Surg. 2019; 13: 115-119
- Does powered stapler improve the mechanical integrity of gastrojejunal anastomosis compared to the current techniques? Experimental study in ex vivo porcine models.J Minimal Access Surg. 2022; 18: 90-96
- Robotic stapler use: is it safe?-FDA database analysis across multiple surgical specialties.PLoS One. 2021; 16e0253548
- Modular stimuli-responsive hydrogel sealants for early gastrointestinal leak detection and containment.Nat Commun. 2022; 13: 7311
- Coating of intestinal anastomoses for prevention of postoperative leakage: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Front Surg. 2022; 9882173
- Reinforcement of intrathoracic oesophago-gastric anastomosis with fibrin sealant (Tisseel®) in oesophagectomy for cancer: a prospective comparative study.Am J Surg. 2020; 219: 123-128
- Omentoplasty to reduce anastomotic leak in colorectal surgery: a meta-analysis.ANZ J Surg. 2022; 92: 1651-1657
- Perfusion assessment in left-sided/low anterior resection (pillar III): a randomized, controlled, parallel, multicenter study assessing perfusion outcomes with pinpoint near-infrared fluorescence imaging in low anterior resection.Dis Colon Rectum. 2021; 64: 995-1002
Published online: February 01, 2023
Accepted: January 31, 2023
Received in revised form: January 15, 2023
Received: December 25, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
© 2023 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.