This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A severe case of generalized osteitis fibrosa cystica due to parathyroid adenoma is reported, the tumor being located in the superior mediastinum. The case is remarkable in that the patient's symptoms date back over a period of nearly sixteen years during which time she suffered no less than four fractures and one operation for kidney stones. The skeletal involvement was extensive and included both patellas, a site which has not been previously reported. Her postoperative convalescence was marked by a fracture of the right femur, suggesting that in the postoperative care of these patients precautionary splinting might be applied to bones of the extremities which are extensively involved until some degree of recalcification has occurred.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Parathyroids—physiology and therapeutics.J. A. M. A. 1941; 117: 527-533
- Hyperparathyroidism; common and polymorphic condition as illustrated by seventeen proved cases from one clinic.J. A. M. A. 1934; 102: 1276-1287
- Pathology of parathyroid gland in hyperparathyroidism; study of 25 cases.Am. J. Path. 1935; 11: 1-72
- Surgical treatment of hyperparathyroidism, based on 30 cases confirmed by operation.Ann. Surg. 1936; 104: 9-35
- Osteitis fibrosa cystica generalizata with hyperparathyroidism as etiology.Am. J. Roentgenol. 1931; 25: 739-748
- Hyperparathyroidism.Brit. M. J. 1937; 1: 982-984
- The development of parathyroidectomy during the last fifteen years.J. Internat. Coll. Surg. 1940; 3: 297-311
© 1944 Published by Elsevier Inc.