This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
This overview on glutamine, cancer and its therapy discusses some of the in vitro and in vivo work on glutamine and tumor growth, and summarizes animal and human data on the potential benefits of glutamine in the tumor-bearing host receiving radiation or chemotherapy.
Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in the body. A tumor can act as a “glutamine trap,” depleting host glutamine stores and resulting in cachexia. In vitro evidence of the dependence of tumor growth on glutamine has deterred its use in the clinic setting.
Data from a variety of investigations studying glutamine's interaction with the tumorbearing host receiving radiation or chemotherapy were compiled and summarized.
A large body of evidence in vivo suggests that supplemental glutamine does not make tumors grow but in fact results in decreased growth through stimulation of the immune system. When given with radiation or chemotherapy, glutamine protects the host and actually increases the selectivity of therapy for the tumor.
Further prospective randomized trials are needed to demonstrate the safety and efficacy in humans undergoing radiation and chemotherapy.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Muscle and plasma amino acids after injury, hypocaloric glucose versus amino acid infusion.Ann Surg. 1980; 191: 465-472
- The role of glutamine in the oxidative Cty metabolism of malignant cells.Cancer Res. 1972; 32: 326-333
- Glutamine utilization by the small intestine.Adv Enzymol. 1982; 53: 202
- Glutamine metabolism in lymphocytes: its biochemical, physiological and clinical importance.Biochem J. 1982; 208: 743
- Reciprocal regulation of glucose w and glutamine utilization by cultured human diploid fibroblasts.J Cell Physiol. 1978; 95: 41-46
- The proportionality of w glutaminase content to growth rate and morphology of rat neoplasms.Cancer Res. 1969; 29: 669-680
- Ammonia production and glutamine incorporation into glutathione in the functioning rat kidney.Can J Biochem. 1979; 57: 233-237
- Effect of a glutamine-supplemented enteral diet on methotrexate-induced enterocolitis.JPEN. 1988; 12: 325-331
- Oral glutamine supports crypt cell turnover and accelerates intestinal healing following abdominal radiation.JPEN. 1989; : 34
- Glutamine enriched diets support muscle glutamine metabolism without stimulating tumor growth.J Surg Res. 1990; 48: 319-323
- Does glutamine facilitate chemotherapy while reducing its toxicity?.in: Surg Forum. 42. 1991: 16-18
- GLN enhances immunoregulation of tumor growth.JPEN. 1994; 18: 471
- Intracellular free amino acid concentrations in human muscle tissue.J Appl Physiol. 1974; 36: 693-697
- Respiratory fuels and nitrogen metabolism in vivo in small intestine of fed rats.J Biol Chem. 1980; 225: 107-112
- Influence of the postoperative state on the intracellular free amino acids in human muscle tissue.Ann Surg. 1975; 182: 665-671
- Tumor glutamine use exceeds intestinal glutamine use in cachectic tumor-bearing rats.in: Surg Forum. LI. 1990: 12-14
- Glutamine enhances gut glutathione production.in: Presented at ASPEN, Washington, DCJanuary 1996
- GLN preserves liver GSH after lethal hepatic injury.Ann Surg. 1992; 215: 114
- Glutamine enhance selectivity of chemotherapy through changes in glutathione metabolism.Ann Surg. 1995; 221: 420-426
- Interorgan GLN metabolism in the tumor-bearing rat.J Surg Res. 1988; 44: 720
- Relationship between glutamine concentration and protein synthesis in rat skeletal muscle.Am J Physiol. 1988; 255 (pt 1): E166-E172
- Glutamine suppresses PGE2 synthesis and breast cancer growth.J Surg Res. 1996; (In press)
- Effect of GLN on tumor concentrations of MTX.Arch Surg. 1992; 27: 1317
- Dietary glutamine prevents chronic radiation enteropathy.Ann Surg Oncol. 1993; 1: 157-163
- Glutamine supports host while decreasing tumor glutathione after radiation injury.in: Presented at the Association for Academic Surgery 26th Annual Meeting, Montreal, Quebec, CanadaNovember 1992
- Oral glutamine enhances radiosensitivity in rat sarcoma.in: Presented at the Society of Surgical Oncology, Houston, Texas1994
- Effect of glutamine-supplemented diets on immunology of the gut..JPEN. 1990; 14 (suppl): 109S-113S
- GLN requirements in the generation of LAK cells.Clin Nutr. 1994; 13: 42
- GSH regulates IL-2 activity on cytotoxic T-cells.J Biol Chem. 1989; 264: 13519
- NK cells: their role in defense against disease.Science. 1981; 214: 24-28
- Inhibition of induction of natural killer activity in mice by general anesthesia (avertin) : role of interferon.Clin Immunol Immunopathol. 1991; 60: 181-189
- A progress report on the treatment of 157 patients with advanced camcer using LAK cells and IL-2 or high-dose IL-2 alone.NEJM. 1987; 316: 889-897
- Elevated PGE2 production by monocytes is responsible for the depressed levels of NK & LAK cell function in patients with breast cancer.Cancer. 1993; 12: 491-501
- Regulation of endothelial cell prostaglandin synthesis by glutathione.J Biol Chem. 1991; 266: 16659-16666
- Response of tumor and host to hyperalimentation and antiglutamine treatments.JPEN. 1990; 14: 122128
- Safety and metabolic effects of L-glutamine administration in humans.JPEN. 1990; 14 (suppl): 137S-146S
- Total patenterai nutrition with glutamine in bone marrow transplantation and other clinical applications (a randomized, double-blind study).JPEN. 1993; 17: 407-413
- Glutamine-supplemented parenteral nutrition improves nitrogen retention and reduces hospital mortality versus standard parenteral nutrition following bone marrow transplantation: a randomized, double-blind trial.Ann Intern Med. 1992; 116: 821-828
- Oral glutamine to prevent k chemotherapy induced stomatitis: a pilot study.J Lab Clin Med. 1996; 127: 223-228
- The role of oral glutamine supplementation in the prevention of radiation-induced enterocolitis in prostate cancer patients.FASEB J. 1992; 6: A1680
*Presented at the 48th Annual Meeting of the Southwestern Surgical Congress, Scottsdale, Arizona, April 28–May 1, 1996.
© 1996 Excerpta Medica, Inc. All rights reserved. Published by Elsevier Inc.